Strings/Action questions... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Strings/Action questions...

I was pretty happy with the setup of my guitar (an RGR421) over the last few weeks after tinkering with it for days, until I decided to re-string a couple days ago. I switched from EB to D'Addario, 10 - 46 for both. I am getting so much more fret buzz now with the D'Addarios, mainly banging the 24th fret on the A and D strings while playing in the middle of the neck. I moved the action up a touch, but it's still doing it, and moving it up anymore I just don't like the feel. At the 12th fret I have 1.6 mm string height on the low E, about 1.3 on the high E. About 1.9 and 1.6 at the 24th fret. My Ibanez manual states that .010 gauge guitars are set with 2.3 mm (!!!) at the 14th fret, which seems really, really high.

I think I am going to switch back to the EB's, but if anyone has any other suggestions to try something, it would be appreciated. I don't know if something like DR or GHS may be less buzzy or not, I have never tried them. Is it normal to find one type of string buzzier than another?

I guess my main question is, does this action sound about normal? I wouldn't mind it even a touch lower, but I tend to pick a little heavy so I can't go much lower, and buzzing drives me up the wall. In terms of neck relief, holding down at 1 and 18 frets I can just barely see a gap at the eigth fret, probably 1/3 - 1/2 mm there.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: Strings/Action questions...

D'addario are quite simply the buzziest strings out there.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEra View Post
D'addario are quite simply the buzziest strings out there.
Which brand do you prefer?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:37 PM

Big, big fan of Dean Markley Blue Steels over here. I use all kinds of different gauges, electric and acoustic, and never had an issue with them. Not saying this is the only answer by any means, but I am also a reformed D'Addario user, so take that for what it's worth.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM

Uh oh. I'm a D'addario user. I think I need to be involved in this thread for later.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:50 PM

Reviews: 2

My first instinct at someone saying action above 2mm is high is to tell them to suck it up and play better...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Muffin View Post
My first instinct at someone saying action above 2mm is high is to tell them to suck it up and play better...
You don't feel it is?

I know on some setups it is not, but on a flat, shred style neck such as an RG's, Jacksons etc, it's pretty high. It certainly feels higher, although I'm sure nothing I couldn't get used to. I don't find it harder to play, just harder to play fast. I also find it harder to reach up on the higher frets to the lower strings, as you have to reach a touch farther.

Anyway, I came home tonight, and it's certainly better than it was last night. I am not sure if the strings just had to under tension for a couple days or what, but it's certainly buzzing less than before. I even lowered the action 1/2 turn (1.4 - 1.5 mm low E at 12th fret) after discovering this and it's still much better than yesterday. I still cannot say I like the D'Addarios more than the Ernie Balls, but they will do for a few weeks until the next string change.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode