stripin but naked - what to do - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

stripin but naked - what to do

hey im just about to strip the rest of the paint of my RG and i was curious does anybody have a good method for staining and sealing.. or specific stains and sealants that work well
thanks
buzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 10:15 PM

stripin but naked

I'd use some tung oil. I think it was Frank Falbo that suggests J.E. Mosers tung oil (for necks anyways), and to rub it with 0000 wool. I plan on doing this to one of my 570 CT's, and the necks of all my guitars.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 11:21 AM

stripin but naked

It really depends on a couple of things.

Are you staining the body a color?
Or is it to be a natural wood and you want to protect it?

For natural wood, I would use a tung oil like stated above.
If you are going to use a color stain, again, it would depend on the color. MinWax has just about any "wood" color you could ever want in an oil-base. That should be sufficiant to protect the wood. 0000 steel wool will give it a very nice sheen:biggrin:.

If you are looking to stain it blue, green or something like that, I would suggest Analine dyes. You can get them from Reranch.com. They go on just like normal stains and then can be sealed with tung oil.

J>
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 04:26 PM

stripin but naked

I've had great experience with Tung Oil and highly recommend it if you prefer the 'unfinished' feel.

I stained/Tung Oiled and Alder strat body years ago and it's still one of my favorite guitars.

Tags
alder strat , frank falbo , steel wool , strat body , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in