Stuck locking stud - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,205
Reviews: 12
Stuck locking stud

how do I "nudge" the locking screw that's pretty much stuck in the stud? I tried my best using a 1.5mm allen wrench [with the stud removed from the insert] but afraid the wrench might break from too much force... Would a 1.5mm wrench with a larger grip work better? I also tried WD-40 but that somewhat nudged just a tiny bit... do i give this a WD-40 bath?
reguv760 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:45 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 493
Re: Stuck locking stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by reguv760 View Post
how do I "nudge" the locking screw that's pretty much stuck in the stud? I tried my best using a 1.5mm allen wrench [with the stud removed from the insert] but afraid the wrench might break from too much force... Would a 1.5mm wrench with a larger grip work better? I also tried WD-40 but that somewhat nudged just a tiny bit... do i give this a WD-40 bath?
Hi, try immersing the stud for a day or so and if you have a 1,5 mm wrench with a larger grip try using it, I'm almost sure once it starts moving it'll be ok. Good luck,

Regards,
Nelson
nsabino is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:49 AM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,700
Re: Stuck locking stud

It does not come out the top, if that's what you're trying
Rich is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,205
Reviews: 12
Re: Stuck locking stud

Rich: no.. i need to move it downwards... it's out just a tiny bit [kinda like a bad zit] but it's stuck and won't budge!
i'll give it a bath and see what happens from there
reguv760 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:37 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle ,Washington USA
Posts: 433
Re: Stuck locking stud

heat it up with a soldering iron.
moonlight is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,205
Reviews: 12
Re: Stuck locking stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight View Post
heat it up with a soldering iron.
very interesting! that would suggest there's some sort of adhesive stuck in there and by heating it up, would "melt" such adhesive... won't the paint "melt" if i heat it up though?
I tried the WD-40 bath and still didn't budge, soldering iron it is.
Don't have a 1.5mm wrench with larger grip... might have to go shopping for those later :P

Reg
reguv760 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 05:13 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,641
Re: Stuck locking stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by reguv760 View Post
very interesting! that would suggest there's some sort of adhesive stuck in there and by heating it up, would "melt" such adhesive... won't the paint "melt" if i heat it up though?
I tried the WD-40 bath and still didn't budge, soldering iron it is.
Don't have a 1.5mm wrench with larger grip... might have to go shopping for those later :P

Reg
No, it suggests that heat makes things, particularly metals, expand. Heat up the surrounding threads, they expand and release the currently clenched grub screw. Same principle as putting a bottle top you can't open under hot water.
GuitarBizarre is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,205
Reviews: 12
Re: Stuck locking stud

soldering iron's a success, didn't have to get an extra wrench! thanks guys

Reg
reguv760 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canadian in Cambridge, MA
Posts: 479
Re: Stuck locking stud

Glad to hear it, I was going to say heat is your friend for stuck threads!!!! Prolly some rust/laquer/crap in there, and heat usually fixes it.

My immediate feeling is the hot water on bottle top method doesn't necessarily expand the steel bottle top much, more like it softens the rubber gasket and softens any sugar/food/goo that's dried in the threads. I should look up the coefficient of expansion for steel, though.
andrewgosline is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:45 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,641
Re: Stuck locking stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgosline View Post
Glad to hear it, I was going to say heat is your friend for stuck threads!!!! Prolly some rust/laquer/crap in there, and heat usually fixes it.

My immediate feeling is the hot water on bottle top method doesn't necessarily expand the steel bottle top much, more like it softens the rubber gasket and softens any sugar/food/goo that's dried in the threads. I should look up the coefficient of expansion for steel, though.
Actually the hot water trick works for almost any stuck lid. Glass with metal lid, plastic with plastic lid, anything, it all comes apart easier under hot water.
GuitarBizarre is offline  
Reply

Tags
locking studs , stuck

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in














Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Locking stud Axayacatl All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 5 05-23-2008 05:23 PM
Locking stud mod kpinks All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 7 04-10-2006 01:25 PM
Locking Stud Mod!!! KrazyKris24 Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 14 12-21-2005 11:48 PM
DIY Locking Stud Mod Shakma!! Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 4 11-10-2004 10:35 PM
1527 Locking Stud / Locking Stud Mod Societysucks All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 1 07-05-2004 10:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome