Suggestion For Finish On This Body - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Suggestion For Finish On This Body

Hi,

A luthier friend of mine has this body that he wants to build me a guitar from. It took him a long time to laminate all the blocks and the guitar will be a LP Junior shape with 2 humbuckers and 22 frets.

I've been thinking a tobacco burst finish with a honey middle would look good and make the walnut blocks on the body pop. The body itself is quartersawn maple giving a snakeskin look to the back.

Here's a picture of the front of the body

If anyone knows how to play around with previews of how a finish would look using photoshop I'd love to hear how to do it.

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:04 AM

Re: Suggestion For Finish On This Body

Challenge accepted! Itīs something like this?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Looks sweet, probably looking at darker tobacco around the edges to hide edges of walnut blocks on the rounded parts of the body. But you are definitely close to what I was looking at

How did you do it? I'd love to play with different bursts to see what each would look like, but I suspect the tobacco burst would be the only one that I could hide the walnut on the sides and roundovers.

Now I need to get images of humbuckers and trems/hardtails to play with configurations on the body to get a real idea of what the guitar could look like, oh yeh and a neck with rosewood/ebony/maple fretboard as well to attach.

I tried to add a burst myself in photoshop but gave up when it looked cr*p but your image has given me hope that I can play around so I can show my friend what I'd like the finished guitar to look like

He also wants to put this Hagstrom trem on it, as I want a trem but not one that takes away too much wood.

Last edited by carlhackman; 07-22-2015 at 07:49 AM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:46 AM

Well, besides my english being basic and rusty, there are a lot of steps and tweaks to explain to you here. PM me, i will try to do different bursts and send to you via email.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Many thanks, I really appreciate your input

I've played a bit by just darkening the image you posted and here is sort of how the guitar would look. I can send you the whole psd with layers so you can get an idea of what I've done to create this version.

Last edited by carlhackman; 07-22-2015 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Changed headstock to proper finished one
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:08 AM

Ohh... you know how to use photoshop, looks cool!! Ok, we can change files, so you can see how i did the burst. Iīll send you a PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Not as good as you as I've tried to get some sort of burst on that basic body and could never achieve the look you did
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Ok I now changed out the pickups to PAFs but not sure which I like the most. Dang!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Uploaded new one after being shown how to tint the body by Tuga666. Also put the dot inlay neck I'd prefer as I think a fancy inlay on the fretboard would make the guitar too busy as the body has a lot going on by itself.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Been playing with photoshop and learning a lot about shapes and masks etc. Here is one I'm working on which started life as a 2D shape using a Petrucci guitar as a basic template.

I'm really enjoying designing guitars now that I have a lot more information on how to work in photoshop.

Another design was a Les Paul, again only a 2D shape to start with after getting a shape on a plan.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Ok, Petrucci style guitar design finished (ish - as I always feel the need to tweak).

Any luthiers out there who want visual representations for customer guitars give me a shout. I am basically retired and have plenty of time to work on visions your customers want. The extra $ will come in very handy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode