Suggestions: Recreating Desert Sun Yellow - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Suggestions: Recreating Desert Sun Yellow

TL;DR

What paint company has the closest/most authentic match to the old Desert Sun Yellow used on 90's era RG550's? I say Day Glo's Saturn Yellow, but the paint shop says House of Kolor. Thoughts?

Detailed Version:

Inspired by Ben Eller's recent RFR 7-string project, I've just kicked off a similar project but in Desert Sun Yellow. I'll be converting my beat up old RG1527 to a 7-string version of a DSY RG550... right down to the maple fretboard.

I'm having some debate with the local shop that'll be doing the paint as to which paint company comes closest to Desert Sun Yellow. Neither of us has actually seen one, nor have one on hand.

Following Ben's lead, I'm somewhat sold on using Day Glo's Saturn Yellow. The shop, on the other hand, think that House of Kolor would be a better choice.

I respect this shop greatly--they've done tons of amazing work for myself and others, but I'd love a tiebreaker.

Anyone have any wisdom on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 05:55 PM

Re: Suggestions: Recreating Desert Sun Yellow

If you've been following Ben's thread you probably saw the pictures i posted of an original DY guitar next to a modern DY (RG550MXX) vs. Dayglo Saturn Yellow. Dayglo will be a near dead on match with what Ibanez is using for DY these days. The older DY seems to have less green in it. Keep in mind the clear coat they used to use has a tendency to yellow with age, so i'm not sure if the older DY is truly a different shade or or if it's due to the yellowing of the clear.

I bought a couple rattle cans of the HOK neon yellow and neon chartreuse some time back to see how they looked. As you would expect the yellow is a bright neon yellow and chartreuse is a greenish neon yellow (closer to the Dayglo actually). I would advise against HOK chartreuse because if you want the more greenish color go with Dayglo as it will be spot on with the DY ibanez is using as of late and the HOK may be too green. If you want a more of a plain yellow color to try to get closer to an aged/yellowed old DY you may want to go with the HOK neon yellow as there is no green in it whatsoever.

I'd go with the Dayglo personally, but if you don't like it or it's really important to you match the original 100% take a look at the HOK. IMO I doubt HOK is 100% either though (as I think the original DY had some green in it, so the HOK may be too far in the opposite direction).

Anyway, maybe the best thing to do is get a $20 rattle can of HOK neon yellow on ebay before investing in a lot of paint (as it's expensive). I also have a thread about how Testors neon model paint uses Dayglo pigments, so you could get a $2 bottle of Testors Neon yellow if you wanted to do a side by side comparing HOK neon yellow, Dayglo (testors), and a DY guitar.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/ib...ch-134886.html

Good luck and let us know what you find/what you decide
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks pwsusi!

I ordered a color swatch of Dayglo's neon colors (which included a swatch of what Ben used for his RFR) awhile back, and definitely like THAT yellow.

It's possible that the shop is pushing for HOK because I used the actual phrase "... 90's era DSY RG550" when I reviewed the project with them. They're so knowledgable, they're probably just trying to give me exactly what I asked for.

Perhaps, rather than telling them I want some kind of replica color a la 1990, I should just tell them I love the Dayglo and to go with that.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 08:35 PM

Paul, did you ever get pics of the guitar your brother had painted RFR/Rocket Red? I'm thinking about having a guitar done in RFR in the near future and want to explore my options for getting that done. What do you think?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 07:03 AM

I wasn't able to get pictures yet. He takes his time with stuff more so than me . I asked him about the guitar after not hearing about it for a while and it being 99% done wondered what happened. Apparently he gave it to a friend to wet sand it for him and then took off for tour for 5 weeks. He'll be back in a week or two tops and said he's going to go get it when he gets back. I'll get some pictures for you.

I saw the guitar in person before he gave it to his friend to be wet sanded (should have take a photo). It was definitely more red than the original RFR which is more pinkish. Like the DY, I'm guessing it's spot on with the new RFR they used on the 550 reissues. Between the two of us we have original RFR, 20th anniversay and the Dayglo guitar. I'll do a side by side for you so you can see the differences.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:17 PM

I'm in the process of stripping a VDY, and having seen the original paint in various states and in different places, I'm confident that the 'greenish' highlighter pen type yellow is the originally intended colour.

I'm a cheapskate and I'm going for Createx (HOK doesn't seem that easy to get here in the UK and I really don't need a quart!) and their fluorescent yellow matches the yellow vine inlays pretty well. And the original overspray in the neckpocket for that matter. But it doesn't match my '87 RG550DY at all, even though the VDY used to.

Perhaps to get the vintage look, the right thing to do would be to shoot the dayglo or HOK chartreuse base and then add an amber tint to your clear? I toyed with this idea.

For anyone who's interested, the pink lions claw gets that slightly less neon, more orangey tint than the Jem SKs because it's painted over the DY, not over the white base coat. Seems a common area for refins or clones to go wrong.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 08:58 PM

Paul how did you go about getting that Day Glo paint chip card?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 09:04 PM

Go to there site and request a color sample. Tell them what color you want and make sure you specify brushing enamel otherwise they may send you acrylic paint. Here's the link
http://dayglo.com/contact_us/

I got lucky...when i requested a rocket red "sample" they send me a whole quart . My brother made a similar request and they only sent him the color strip. Actually they sent him two and he gave me one . I'm not sure if they stopped sending paint samples or if it depends on what mood they are in
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

I got the color swatches plus a quart too. Totally wasn't expecting such a large "sample"
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 01:26 PM

So for spraying you'd actually want the acrylic paint, right?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 02:18 PM

get the enamel. The "brushing" enamel spayed just fine. I believe he used a reducer. Never used acrylic paint before.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Paul, did you ever get pics of the guitar your brother had painted RFR/Rocket Red? I'm thinking about having a guitar done in RFR in the near future and want to explore my options for getting that done. What do you think?
Jesse, i finally ended up getting pictures of the 540p clone which was painted in Dayglo Rocket Red. Sorry for the delay...my brother took his time picking this up from the person who did the work.

Here are a few side-by-side pictures with an RG550 RFR 20th anniversary and an original 1987 RG550 RFR

Anniversary

It might be a little hard to tell from the pictures, but consistent with the other pictures i took of the Rocket Red in the can next to these guitars, the Dayglo is more red when compared to the original RG550 (which is more pinkish), and pretty much spot on with the RG550 anniversary. My pictures look a bit more orange than the guitars look in person. Maybe something to do with my white balance but i didn't want to start messing with them at all in photoshop...I wanted to leave them exactly as shot.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 02:17 AM

Glad to see my RFR beast has helped out! Cheers guys, and good luck!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 08:01 AM

Paul, those pics are great, thanks. I know how hard it is to get the color representation correct, but I basically see what you're talking about. The 1987 almost looks more white, which I guess would be more pink.

You don't happen to have anything painted Five Alarm Red do you? Or a pic of that test strip on the Anniversary RFR? I'm trying to figure out how orange FA is compared with RFR? I know I probably need to see these in person to really tell.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Paul, those pics are great, thanks. I know how hard it is to get the color representation correct, but I basically see what you're talking about. The 1987 almost looks more white, which I guess would be more pink.

You don't happen to have anything painted Five Alarm Red do you? Or a pic of that test strip on the Anniversary RFR? I'm trying to figure out how orange FA is compared with RFR? I know I probably need to see these in person to really tell.
I do have a Five Alarm Red guitar. I lined up a few guitars for you and took a photo. I lined them up in the same order they are on the test strip
Blaze Orange -->Fire Orange --> Rocket Red

Carotene Orange -->Five Alarm Red --> Road Flare Red (20th anniversary and original)

Five Alarm Red next to 20th Anniversary Road Flare Red

It's really hard to capture the true color in photos, so the best i can describe them is this:
-original road flare pinkish/red neon
-20th anniversary road flare red neon (less pink than original RFR, less orange than FA. More of a straight up red neon)
-five alarm red is orange/red neon. If you've seen HOK Vermillion it's pretty similar
-carotene is bright orange (almost creamsicle color) neon

Jesse, I have the testor neon samples (which use dayglo pigments) of Five Alarm Red and Carotene. I also have the can of left over Dayglo Rocket Red from when my brother painted his guitar. So essentially that's everything in the picture above with the exception of the original RFR (which you wouldn't be able to buy anyway ). So if you want i can send a little sample from each of the bottles if that's something that would help you. If this is something you need just say the word and i'd be happy to do it for you.

Tags
desert sun yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode