Sustain Block Question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Sustain Block Question

Hey everyone, new guy, i've got a rg350dx that I really love the feel and playability of. I'm pretty handy and i work with electronics for a living and I like modding guitars. This is the first double locking trem guitar I've had in quite a few years. I've ordered an OFR and what I'm wondering and is probably a dumb question but will the sustain block for the Edge 3 work with the OFR or do I need to get a replacement? Cool site, Diggin all the info and insight.

Thanks in advance

and one more thing, why do I have to keep constantly logging in???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:17 AM

Reviews: 9
Re: Sustain Block Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1635 View Post
Hey everyone, new guy, i've got a rg350dx that I really love the feel and playability of. I'm pretty handy and i work with electronics for a living and I like modding guitars. This is the first double locking trem guitar I've had in quite a few years. I've ordered an OFR and what I'm wondering and is probably a dumb question but will the sustain block for the Edge 3 work with the OFR or do I need to get a replacement? Cool site, Diggin all the info and insight.

Thanks in advance

and one more thing, why do I have to keep constantly logging in???
No it won't, might I suggest though you take a trip over to Floyd Upgrades. It's a veritable Aladins cave of goodies for your trem. I bought a brass block for a Lo Pro for my RG370dx, made a nice amount of difference, not so much more sustain but much better string separation. Nice.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, with that being said, Anyone know what size block will fit ok in a rg350, 32mm, 35, 37, 42??
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1635 View Post
Thanks for the info, with that being said, Anyone know what size block will fit ok in a rg350, 32mm, 35, 37, 42??
There's only one size that will fit in the cavity, when you order make sure it's for the Edge trem or email Adam there.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 05:10 PM

One of the benefits of getting a Gotoh Floyd as a replacement.....Comes with locking studs AND a brass block!...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatt142 View Post
One of the benefits of getting a Gotoh Floyd as a replacement.....Comes with locking studs AND a brass block!...
I also have one of those and it's ace! It works far better than my Lo pro, although I don't think it will be too big to fit into the cavity and get the back plate on! I may be wrong though....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 04:58 PM

Reviews: 120

Gotoh's are awesome. My favourite trem I think.

I have a review here on my blog: http://lonephantom.wordpress.com/200...remolo-review/

Also under the comparison shopping on Jemsite you'll find mine and maybe one or two others.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:25 AM

I agree Lone....I had my daughters b/f buy one as an upgrade for his Jackson. I was very impressed with it. That thing is bulletproof! Very nice feeling trem that refuses to go out of tune. I only play 7's and I really wish Gotoh offered a 7-string version...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Well, I just finished installing a Dimarzio FRED zebra pickup in the bridge of my RG350DX and an Original Floyd. I can tell you that in my particular RG, the Floyd dropped in so damn easy. The studs lined up perfectly. It comes with a 37 mm block and I got the R9 nut and it is perfect. There is clearance in the cavity for a thicker block. I will post some pics in the near future.

Cheers
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

OK, some pics.

OFR from 169.00
shipping about 10.00
Rock solid, beat the hell out of it and it still stays in tune.... Priceless

37mm block came with the OFR, fits fine, I think the 42 would have fit also

Make sure it says "Made in Germany"

The OFR studs screwed right into the existing inserts, lined up perfectly

The right side is close but it doesn't hit in any way

Small gap on left side but strings line up perfectly

Finally set up, thank god, quite the pain

End product, I'm loving the "FRED" in the bridge too

I've heard that the tolerances are not really that tight in the manufacturing process but in my particular guitar, the studs were spaced absolutely perfect and the cavity accomodated the OFR nicely. All in all, a pretty easy upgrade. Hope this helps anyone considering this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:09 AM

Well done sir! Nice post have an air beer on me! Stick a brass block on it, there is a nice difference in the sond of the guitar!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longi View Post
Well done sir! Nice post have an air beer on me! Stick a brass block on it, there is a nice difference in the sond of the guitar!

Speaking of improving sustain, how about the pickup connection to the body? They are the only device that eventually collect the whole sound on electric guitar and transfer it to the amp. In my Ibanez RG series (and I suppose most of them), they are connected to the body via just long screws going thru pickup rings and some thin springs (like the ones in pencil) that push them away from the body. How about that? How can pickups actually "pick" the sustain of the body vibrating, if they are only connected the way I described? (aside from standard electro-magnetic picking of the sound of strings). Thanks.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=kokyman;981335]Speaking of improving sustain, how about the pickup connection to the body? They are the only device that eventually collect the whole sound on electric guitar and transfer it to the amp. In my Ibanez RG series (and I suppose most of them), they are connected to the body via just long screws going thru pickup rings and some thin springs (like the ones in pencil) that push them away from the body. How about that? How can pickups actually "pick" the sustain of the body vibrating, if they are only connected the way I described? (aside from standard electro-magnetic picking of the sound of strings). Thanks.[/QUOTE

Crank the gain up on your amp. Tap on the guitar body while muting the strings, youll hear all kinds of noise. Joe satriani and some other guitarist ive seen use foam stuffed around the neck pickup alot of time to reduce unwanted vibrations. Some guitars intentionally have the pickups bolted to the body to increase this effect. Guitar pickups have lots of microphonic properties, you can even speak into some guitar pickups and hear it through your amp.

Tags
floyd rose , rg mod , sustain block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode