Sustain problems in S-series??? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Sustain problems in S-series???

Hi! I'm new to this forum.

I'm considering buying a new S570 w/ZR tremolo or S5470 Prestige w/ZR2 tremolo. I've been reading a lot of posts citing sustain issues with these guitars where the higher notes die off in a couple of seconds.

So far I've not found a consensus as to the culprit. I've read things like low body mass or tremolo design are to blame (to name a few).

So before I make a purchase I have a few questions:

- Has this issue been resolved in the new models, 2010 and later?
- What's the difference between the ZR and ZR2 tremolos and how do they compare against Floyd Rose?
- Has anyone considered that the ball bearing tremolo design could be to blame for the poor sustain issues?

About my last question... using a ball bearing design vs a knife edge, although great concept on paper, I'm thinking that the bearing itself could lead to loss of sustain by dampening string vibration. Slop could exist in the bearing joint due to manufacturing tolerances, fit or wear (I doubt Ibanez uses aircraft or surgical precision grade bearings), even if the slop or play is undetectable by hand it could be enough to kill the sustain. Or at least that's my theory, but I don't know so I'd like to hear what everybody thinks.

Maybe I'm thinking about this too hard, but any feedback (no pun intended) would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 09:29 AM

Reviews: 15
Re: Sustain problems in S-series???

I haven't had these problems. I have an S470 and there are no sustain issues. The guitar is much thinner, but it weighs more than a strat. The only "issue" I ever had was the spring vibration, which was resolved by changing the springs.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 03:03 PM

Spring tension can be the issue with sustain, however ZR design being bad for sustain or anything else for that matter is a fiction. You can read craziest things online
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:11 PM
rgx

I have a couple of s prestiges, no problems with sustain whatsoever. However those are older models with the Edge / Lo-Pro.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:52 AM

I have a 2011 SV5470F. I can't say there is any specific sustain problems except that this guitar much like any other will benefit from a good setup. I find particularly with the 24 fret guitars, the neck is a lot less forgiving if not setup for optimum playing. If you like the action low, you'd better be good at doing your own setup or take it to a tech. Otherwise nice guitar. I put a set of Duncan's on mine, JB/59. I also have a RG1550 with a maple neck. This guitar seems to me to sustain a little better but it also has a thicker body. The two guitars complement each other, each is unique in their own way.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 02:07 PM

i've got a 2011 s420/ZR with 11's on. It's currently setup as low as possible. no sustain issues
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Great! I think I'm almost sold on a S5470F. I've narrowed my choices down to the Ibanez and a Jackson SLAT3-6. I also considered the SL2H but with the finish I wanted it became cost prohibited.

The Jackson has alder body and comes with EMG's 81/85 and Recessed Floyd Roseģ FRT-O2000. I'm not sure if this a LFR or OFR.

In any case, does anyone have any thoughts on this Jackson? Is this a OFR, and how do the alder and EMG's compare to the S5470F's mohagony body and HGD/ST2 pickups? Tuning stability is a must.

I've only been able to play similar models and not even side by side so any input would really help!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Vendor

I sent you a PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 02:38 PM
mpr

Wondering too about the alleged sustain issues, whether something changed for the better in 2010/2011 models, and the stock pickups.

Attractive prices at MF now with various holiday coupons, so I'm really struggling. Then there's the problem of living outside of the US, how to get it over here, warranty, and all that. But that S5470Q still beacons...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 02:44 PM

Make sure you use all 3 codes to save 31% !!!!

callsanta 15% off item over 199
retailmenot11 11% off
savefive 5% off
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 03:59 PM
mpr

The coupons seem to affect each other, I suppose they don't all apply to the base price. I think "bonussavings" ended up better than "savefive". And don't forget cashback sites. 7% from a seemingly decent site, 8% from one that looks a little fishy.

If only I were in the US...

Edit: Looks like most now don't work anymore. Either expired, or "not applicable". A random "8% off promotion" popped, but that's not enough. Back to waiting. Maybe good news from NAMM.

Last edited by mpr; 12-23-2011 at 04:19 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

So I finally broke down and ordered an S5470F from MF. Since Prestige models were not available locally I was a bit reluctant to order without trying it first. I couldnít be happier! I managed to enter one coupon only for 15%. I donít play professionally, just for hobby. Having said that, below are my first impressions. To keep it in perspective, I have two other guitars (Yamaha RGX312, Fender Strat) and use a Fender Princeton Chorus amp with a Boss GT-3 multi effect.

RECEIVED CONDITION: Guitar was received factory sealed in Dec 2011 with quality inspection stamp dated Jun-2011. The guitar was impeccable.
WHATíS IN THE BOX: A high quality case (if it were any bigger I could sleep in it!), ownerís manual, inspection labels, a clear plastic bag with ďTeam J CraftĒ stamped on it, a swiss knife looking tool kit (allens, Phillips screwdrivers, etc) and trem bar in the bag, and guitar.

FACTORY SETTINGS: Out of tune. Action was just right for me but with slight string buzzing on the lower strings, first few frets. Once I get more acclimated to the guitar Iíll adjust neck, but for now the buzzing is not significant enough to bother me.
BODY: This has to be the most ergonomically correct guitar Iíve ever played! Itís like it just melts in your body. Donít let the thin body fool you. This is a solid, sell made instrument. The finish is amazing. The internet photos donít do it justice.

HARDWARE: The ZR2 trem is excellent. It will just not come out of tune after pulls/dive bombs all day long. I canít comment much on the ZPS but you can remove it if you like. The pickups sound excellent in all positions in clean or overdrive with little or no noise. Canít imagine name brand pickups being much better, if at all, but thatís a matter of your personal taste. Knob feel is very solid and high quality. The pickup switch can make a little noise at high amp volume while switching but not enough to bother me. I tend to not mod my instruments but the stock hardware is excellent in my opinion.

SUSTAIN: This was an initial concern I had. Compared to my other guitars I see no real difference. Itís just fine to me. I canít say how it compares to a Les Paul or similar. Maybe itís just me but I did notice that when set to just the center pickup the sustain on the strings 1 and 2 (high E, B) at the 20+ frets the sustain dropped slightly. Again, nothing to worry about in my opinion. Note that these strings sounded clean with no buzzing.

You will not find a guitar that is perfect in every way but this one comes pretty darn close in my opinion. Hope this review helps.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Congrats on the new gear.

The S is amazingly thin, but actually heavier than a strat

Tags
s5470 , s570 , tremolo , zr2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode