Sustainer - again - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Sustainer - again

Ok i know everyone in the world is asking about the fernandes sustainer, however...

It looks to me that the FSK 401 is pretty much pre wired in the box, is this the right?

Where-as the FSK 101 requires a lot more electrical work as it has no pots or 5 way on it.

So other than the woodwork involved would it be right to say the FSK401 is a lot easier to fit due to less electricals and soldering ?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Re: Sustainer - again

Ok so i got one and i fitted it !

So no mean feat right -

However i have never seen a soldering iron or done any woodwork in my life and i did it saving 200.

I had to buy a router for 30 and a longer bit for 5
also a soldering iron 10
black paint 2.50

However i have encountered a few issues like cracked paint work when drill routing and cutting in to the body 2 bigger washers on the switches will cover the cracked paint and a plastic cover on the back will cover the electrics cavity. the battery cover fitting was easiest.

so i now have a full working fernandes sustainer FSK401 and a dummy single coil - i also had to route the pickup cavity slightly to get them to fit

all I've learnt from it is yes you can do it with a bit of hard work and save 200 fitting costs here in the UK

however on a Jem 7 pay someone to do a decent job

Have a listen to my sound cloud link i think you'll agree the tone is right there let me know what you think

http://soundcloud.com/skydonut/susat...ibanez-rg08ltd

have a look at the pics and you will see my butchering

Paul

Last edited by donut; 04-19-2013 at 04:28 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 07:27 AM

well done, looks good.

I always think its better to fit it yourself, you learn more about what it is and how it works,

and its like your own cooking, always tastes better and gives more satisfaction.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 02:14 PM

+1 i did it myself with the 101. dam thing didnt even come with all the clips for the pups so i had to cut bits out of a computer to fit it! if i was to do it again id get the 401 or sustaniac

Tags
fernandes sustainer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode