Sustainer installation in the UK? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Sustainer installation in the UK?

Although I have a JEM and a Universe I also have an RG570EX which has a Lo-Pro Trem and tends to be the guitar I pick up to mess around on.

I'm considering getting a Fernandes sustainer system installed in the RG (probably with an evolution in the bridge at the same time) but I'm not sure if there is anywhere within reasonable travelling distance who could actually do this. A Google search doesn't seem to bring up many Fernandes dealers in the UK and the one I found only lists the guitars not the Sustainer Kit. From what I have read here it is the FSK-401 that I need.

I guess I could risk ordering one of the kits from the USA if I can find a supplier who is happy to ship abroad and who would replace it if it was per chance faulty on arrival. It isn't really practical to ship my Guitar though.

I'm based in Derbyshire so anyone have any ideas where best to try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:07 PM

Re: Sustainer installation in the UK?

Just to make up for an earlier thread (and the fact that I've heard he does a great job) try Max from Johnny Roadhouse in Manchester

You'll have to try evilbay for the sustainer I think.

I had one, and to be honest it sort of disappointed. It's a cool little toy, but I was gutted when I couldn't do that thing Vai does with his tongue (try explaining THAT one when someone catches you practicing.)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:27 PM

Mansons - www.mansons.co.uk in Exeter sell Fernandes Sustainers separately, and they route guitars and install them into any guitar you want also.. Just have your checkbook ready... And also sorry it's a little bit south west for you, but havn't been up guitar hunting etc in Derby for a while...

Hope it helps
James
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Many thanks for the link James. I'd like to try and find somewhere more local if possible but at least I now have an idea about pricing for the labour. I still want to do it but it looks like I'd be better off ordering the FSK-401 kit from the USA with the current exchange rate as it is about half the price.

My RG570 has a H-S-H configuration with V7, S1 and V8 pickups. I believe that the FSK-401 kit comes with a humbucker for the bridge but if I buy an Evolution that can go in the bridge instead?

The Sustainer driver then goes in the neck and I believe doubles as a standard pickup when the system is switch off? I guess I will also need a dummy single coil black pickup to go in the neck as the driver is a single coil?

The middle single coil it looks like I will have to keep as I can't see an Evolution middle pickup for sale separately.

Is There anything else I would need apart from the kit, an Evolution bridge and a empty black single coil?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 01:04 PM

Paul at Arrowhead guitars in Northampton has done the sustainer installation.
Top bloke who does excellent work at good prices. Might be worth getting in touch.
www.arrowheadguitars.co.uk

Cheers
John
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongrass
Paul at Arrowhead guitars in Northampton has done the sustainer installation.
Top bloke who does excellent work at good prices. Might be worth getting in touch.
www.arrowheadguitars.co.uk

Cheers
John
That refinished Ibanez looks sweet .

Regards

André

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 06:38 PM

I believe you can get a sustainer driver which is humbucker sized aswell as a single sized one.. I bought an asthetically damaged fernandes guitar for £150 which has a complete sustainer in it.. I have meant to put it in a guitar body i have lying around next to a nice neck, with a bartolini active pickup running off the same battery.. But i really can't be bothered to figure out wiring etc for the whole system... Starting to think of selling the fernandes with the sustainer in it and givign up for now. lol

Cheers
James

Tags
evolution bridge , fernandes sustainer , fernandes sustainer system , guitar body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode