Swap late 2000's Indo Wizard II w/ late 90's Korean Wizard II? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Swap late 2000's Indo Wizard II w/ late 90's Korean Wizard II?

So, I realized that I like my late 90's Korean Wizard II that's on my RG270DX better than the late 2000's Indonesian Wizard II on my RG3EX1. It has a thinner and more curved profile w/ scarf joint, and the newer one has no scarf joint and squarer shoulders. Both guitars are RGs.

I know that Ibanez has supposedly changed their Wizard II necks over time. Anybody have any experience with a swap like this? Will it work / fit? Figured I'd ask before I tried it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Re: Swap late 2000's Indo Wizard II w/ late 90's Korean Wizard II?

Ive seen this done on other rg models, but not your particular version, the dimensions should be nearly identical on the neck joint, they do look the same, and i would be shocked if the mounting holes didnt match up. It wouldnt be a big deal to fill the old neck holes with dowels and to redrill. My money is on them matching up. Ymmv
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:45 PM

Reviews: 120

It will most probably fit straight on. But yes, as stated previously, the holes may not. It's no big deal though. Just need to fill the neck holes with dowel, and redrill if they do not fit directly.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for the info guys. I know what I'm doing this weekend!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 PM

The neck bolts often don't line up between indo and korean models, or at least that was the case when there were both indo AND korean models in production. (Up until 2009, at which point the Cort factory there closed and all production was moved to indo).

Take bolt measurements from both guitars. As long as scale length and neck width are the same, then all you'll have to worry about is the bolts, but bear in mind the likelihood of them matching is rough.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

I just took a pencil and made an impression of the bolt layout of both on sheets of paper, and it does indeed look like I'll have to fill and re-drill if I want this to work. How long does that take to fill the old holes with dowel and then re-drill? Sounds like glue drying would be involved.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 09:14 PM

Yes of course! You need to use the right glue, and give it time to fully harden. Titebond is the standard with most people, and give it at least a couple of days to dry before drilling.

Remember when drilling the holes in the neck again to mark on the drill bit the maximum depth you wish to go to. It would be terrible to go through to the fretboard! I usually just wrap some electrical tape around the drill bit to mark out the max depth I want to go.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

I was telling a friend that I was going to do this and he said that there's a lot of pressure on that joint and this process would weaken the joint. Is that true?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:19 PM

No way, that's not the case. Quite often the glue will make the area you are gluing stronger than it was in the first place!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:22 PM

ya the dowel and redrill is a proven method. I would suggest using a plug cutter to get plugs that are not end grain, rather side grain so the theads are stronger. I found a great tutorial online, check it:

http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~ihsahn/guitar/neckPlug.html

good luck
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgosline View Post
ya the dowel and redrill is a proven method. I would suggest using a plug cutter to get plugs that are not end grain, rather side grain so the theads are stronger. I found a great tutorial online, check it:

http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~ihsahn/guitar/neckPlug.html

good luck
Thanks for the link! I haven't done it yet and am considering paying a shop to do it. It's getting done either way though. I was considering just swapping electronics but I really don't like the body the good neck is on. It's got an empty single coil cavity in the middle and a floyd rose licensed trem I blocked, and I'd rather have the string-thru body and no pickup hole.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:03 AM

well i have to thank you for the info too. I recently ordered a 2009 RG ex and I was expecting it to have a neck with the same profile as my very old RG2000 that was made in korea. I have not compared the korean wizard II with the indonesia II, so this is the first information indicating that there is a noticeable difference. My 90s RG570, however, has a wizard I, which is noticeably thinner than the wizard II. Good luck.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
well i have to thank you for the info too. I recently ordered a 2009 RG ex and I was expecting it to have a neck with the same profile as my very old RG2000 that was made in korea. I have not compared the korean wizard II with the indonesia II, so this is the first information indicating that there is a noticeable difference. My 90s RG570, however, has a wizard I, which is noticeably thinner than the wizard II. Good luck.
Have you gotten the RG EX yet? I'm curious to know if you notice a difference between the 2. Do you like the Wizard I or II (Korean) better?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:59 AM

nope, haven't gotten the EX and won't get it for at least 2 weeks. I don't like the Japan wizard I as much as the korean wizard II. Part of that is the square heel limiting access starting around fret 15, another part is the super high gloss finish it has that's kindof sticky (I'm borrowing it so I can't steel wool it), another part is the profile which I think is more square almost. It's a nice neck feel, and I prefer it to say a strat or les paul, but I am more at home with the wizard II.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
nope, haven't gotten the EX and won't get it for at least 2 weeks. I don't like the Japan wizard I as much as the korean wizard II. Part of that is the square heel limiting access starting around fret 15, another part is the super high gloss finish it has that's kindof sticky (I'm borrowing it so I can't steel wool it), another part is the profile which I think is more square almost. It's a nice neck feel, and I prefer it to say a strat or les paul, but I am more at home with the wizard II.
Ah OK. So the original Wizards didn't have the all access neck joint?

Tags
wizard ii neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode