Swapping a washburn 600s trem to a OFR? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Swapping a washburn 600s trem to a OFR?

Hi guys.

Have anyone swap the washburn 600s to an original floyd or floyd pro with good result?

I'm think of doing it on a N3. And my research turns up that the 600s is pretty much a generic TRS or TRS pro with the washburn brand name on it.

Also, the TRS and TRS pro (I assume the 600s has the same spec) has a 3" post distance, while the real floyds, be it Original, Schaller or gotoh all have 2 7/8" spacing.

In metric thats 76.2mm versus about 74mm.

So can I just swap it in or do I really need to dowel and redrill the post?

Hope U guys can give me some pointers.

Thks
lloop9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 02:16 PM

If it is in fact like the TRS that Ibanez used, then according to what I've read here on the Jem 555, the OFR is a direct replacement.

"Best Choice Option - If you have a TRS/TRS-II equipped Ibanez guitar, you can install the Floyd Rose Original/Pro without any modifications to your guitar. That is the easiest and best alternate."

Read more, here- http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/trems.htm

Scroll down to the very bottom of the page.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Hey, thks for the reply.

I'm not sure if its the same as the Ibanez, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 08:52 PM

No problem! I hope someone else will chime in, and let you know if it is indeed the same.

I will say that a Yamaha Pacifica that I was using, which had a TRS-101 trem, was routed a bit differently. The post spacing was fine, but the recess was off so, the base plate hung over on the top on the bass side. It needs that part of it routed a bit, so it will float again. I wasn't worried about it right away, though, because I ended up having to put a single locking Floyd II on it, which is useless for diving anyway. I only put it on there, because it was all I had at the time, and at least I could play the guitar... At least knowing that the Jem 555 is a direct fit gives you some hope that it will work.

Sorry if I was rambling.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

hey, the Jem 555 is a cool guiatr. its the closest thing to a vai on a budget.
I hope u enjoy yours wif a trem swap.

I have to say they need to dump the TRS trems all together! Those crap just sucks monkey balls!

cheers

Tags
base plate , floyd rose , trs trems , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode