Swirl Materials and Techniques. - Page 7 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 05:43 PM

Re: Swirl Materials and Techniques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarelaxe
Here it is reswirled. still needs to be cleared though.

comments anybody?
Thanks for the Heads up mate !!

I really like that one but.......
I couldnt open my wallet for it... dont take that comment the wrong way, I REALLY like it !!!
but I dont think I could spend my money on it !
My reason is that its got a good swirl (but a little busy) at the bottom of the body but as it gets nearer to the horns the paint turns a little too mon-colour !!! - ONLY on the front though - the BACK IS AWESOME !!!!
I really love the back and if I hadnt just finished doing THIS !

I would indeed be tempted to dig out my wallet !!!
keep posting them dude, cos that is very nice !!!

congrats !

Jaden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarelaxe
Here it is reswirled. still needs to be cleared though.

comments anybody?
Nice job a bit pink though .

Regards

André

post #93 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 08:26 PM

some answers for patrick:
1. I use photobucket. When you upload a picture you get 3 lines under it (url,tag,img). If you copy the img line into your post, the picture will show up in it.
2. As I said before, I use an israeli brand, since I'm in israel, of a synthetic polyurethane gloss paint and that is why the guitar is already a little shiny.
you can read about it here (it's in english):
http://www.tambour.co.il/inner2.aspx...SelectedMask=7
this paint is not good for the first background Since it's very smooth and the paint in the water will slide on it instead of sticking to it.and it needs 2-3 weeks to dry properly otherwise it has a bad reaction to the clear (I found out the hard way).
3. I started out with the project guitar website totorial and did a lot of experimenting with different colors until I got this one.I do use borax in the water about an hour before I swirl. I reduce the color as little as possible, until I'm happy with the way it spreads in the water.when i swirl the color in the water I look for places that have thick color layer and spread them a little with a small stick. I try not to put too much paint in the water to begin with. I wait for about a minute until the paint stops moving and only then I dip. If your dipping bucket is large enough, move the guitar from side to side alittle to get some flowing patterns.
4. When I pull the guitar out of the water, I use a hair dryer to dry it fast. I look at it from all sides looking for potential runs and sags and dry them first.

you will need help for it. Someone to blow the paint sideways when you pull the guitar out, and hold it while you dry it with the blow dryer.
eventually, if I don't like what I see, because swirls are not accurate and unexpectable, I wipe the guitar down before it gets dry. I do get runs and spots from time to time. It's unavoidable.
post #94 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 11:50 PM

Heres a few swirls I've done............if anybody would like to have me do one for them just PM me. Hope you like

Last edited by PatrickSimsCustomShopUSA; 06-14-2006 at 12:24 AM.
post #95 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 11:53 PM

Duplicate Post Deletion....

Last edited by PatrickSimsCustomShopUSA; 06-14-2006 at 12:19 AM.
post #96 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS
Did you swirl the neck too?
post #97 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
Did you swirl the neck too?
Yea, this is not the neck that goes on the guitar, its a junk neck that I use to dip guitars with. It came off a $10 guitar I bought at a pawn shop.
post #98 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 06:35 PM

Anyone ever consider doing a 3 step swirl (swirl 3 different times), then sanding through the layers like Vernon Reid has with his axe?
post #99 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 04:19 PM

OK swirling went very bad I actually liked the colors but the paint ran down and killed the swirl. I couldn't keep the body horizontalI think I left the paint on the water too long. There were way to many runs and spots. Some of the bubbles still had water this morning. Do you guys sand the runs and bubbles down?

I still have paint for 1 more try but I'm thinking of using chrome spray paint instead
post #100 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock
I still have paint for 1 more try but I'm thinking of using chrome spray paint instead
As somebody who uses piants, sprays and clears for a living I think I should warn you that "chrome" sprays can be an absolute nightmare to clearcoat. A few years ago I tried 4 or 5 times to repair a "chrome" fridge door. I used a variety of product combinations but each time the "chrome" turned dark grey when it was dry and clear coated. It also doesn't cope well with sanding so unless your highly skilled your gonna have to do a shed load of clear coating/sanding/buffing to get rid of any orange peel effect.

Ben
post #101 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:14 PM

Pft...highly skilled? It took me a week to get the paint off

What about metallic spray paint?
A guitar doesn't really need paint now does it?
post #102 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:34 PM

You can do your own metalic / metal flake colours by simply spraying one coat of colour then one coat of glitter laquer (plasticote works fine) and keep alternating until you're happy with the richness/ depth.

Ben
post #103 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock
OK swirling went very bad I actually liked the colors but the paint ran down and killed the swirl. I couldn't keep the body horizontalI think I left the paint on the water too long. There were way to many runs and spots. Some of the bubbles still had water this morning. Do you guys sand the runs and bubbles down?

You probably spread to much paint on the water. Try puting less the next time. get someone to help you when you do that so that when you pull the guitar out of the water you hold it horizontally and he will help dry the paint with a blow dryer.turn the body around to dry the back as well. look for smudges and air bubbles and try socking them very gently with a piece of clean dry cloth.
post #104 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 08:00 AM

hi i swirl guitars and have been doing swirl work on and off for the last 3 years, swirling is not easy, the more colours the more headaches, if you want it done pay herc to do it for ya. hes the man, his colours are bright and his swirls are beautiful. i spent over 2 years trying to perfect the technique, if your going to do something do it right, or dont bother. the time it took me to find out how to do it, (and im still learning now, and will b 4 ever) would be worth, thousands even on mickey dees wages. here are some of my picks. these are on untreated unsealed unsanded wood from the tip!

(Not linked)

(Not linked)
(Not linked)
(Not linked)
(Not linked)

THERE ARE SOME MORE PICS HERE
http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/a...ERUK/?start=20
I WILL BE ADDING PICS ALL THE TIME, AND I WORKING ON A NEW THHANG AND IT WILL BE THE DOGS!

IF YOUR BORED OR JUST WANT TO TELL ME IM A TIT HERES MY EMAIL ADDRESS.
[email protected]
hope you like em. PEACE
post #105 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 11:56 AM

dude, we noticed you already. no need to revive every old thread with the word swirl in it.

Tags
clear coat , custom guitar , custom guitars , edge trem , gibson les paul , guitar body , guitar tech , herc fede , ibanez guitars , jem swirl , les paul , les pauls , monkey grip , neck joint , patrick sims , swirl project , swirled body , vernon reid , zakk wylde , zakk wylde les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in