Swirl Materials and Techniques. - Page 8 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:57 AM

Re: Swirl Materials and Techniques.

im sorry to have annoyed you, i was looking for threds that have covered the topic of swirl painting, they interest me, i didnt realize i would get told off for posting, or that my posts were being monitored, i wont post anymore, i will just read, and respond via pm if anyone talks directly to me, sorry that i cause you offense, i've been told now. it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 01:55 PM

I'm not annoyed at all. you can post whatever you like, wherever you like. Its just that it looked like you searched every old post that is about swirling and wrote the same post in all of them. we all love swirls and very interested in every new swirler that comes along. your swirls look real good but so far you have "teased" us with swirled pieces of wood all over the place
and if you are so sensitive you better embrace yourself. sometimes things heat up in here real fast. just read through the first 5 o 6 pages of this thread. anyway you will soon find out that in general we are all friendly people with no intent to offend. so welcome, and we are waiting to see a swirled guitar from you so step on it.
post #108 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:41 PM

cheers, i did read the post, and im shocked how people can get so funny with each other, so quickly, ive read some that i couldnt believe. im trying to sort something out and when i do i will post them as i go. cheers and thank, sorry for the mix up. have a good one.
post #109 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock View Post
Is there a quicker way of stripping the finish on a guitar?
Jasco. Burns like hell if you get it on you, but it works.
post #110 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:07 AM

As said before: yes your swirls are good.

Am I wrong in thinking you'll soon be selling swirls online?

If so: may I suggest that you create a signature (animated Gifs) that include you swirls (but smaller size) and invite people to visit your website?

that would attract traffic to your web pages and you could use your time to explain people interested in swirls the technique etc. As some people still prefer to do it by themselves instead of paying a someone. (not that they dont have the money or want to become competitor, jsut that some people like to do things with their hands on w.ends)

by the way: the one in the middle, 3rd pic is pretty cool. achieve by swirling 2x the wood with different colors no?
post #111 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 12:17 PM

bump.. ^_^
post #112 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 02:08 AM

So im starting on a swirl project and really have gotten to the hardest part....trying to find paint that doesnt SUCK. Trust me when i say i have tested dozens of paint brands but am always unhappy with the results. I have searched and search and i have finally come across this forums to hopefully learn which brand of paint i need. I am starting to get impatient, seeing as it has been 3 months with no luck in finding anything.

So, my question is what type of paint do you pros use to make your swirls flow well? I know enamels are good, but im talking brands to try. House of Kolor? Humbrol?
post #113 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:30 PM

Sorry, I know this thread is a little old... but me and my friend are gonna attempt to start doing our own swirl projects... of course we'll just be practicing on pieces of wood, etc... but I have just a few questions...

#1. I wanna order the Jacquard Airbrush (& Marbling) Colors in Green and Black... has anyone used this brand? Apparently it also works very good for swirling on wood. Only $10 bucks for 8 oz.

#2 The Carageenan stuff that jellys the top of the water to hold the paint... it's kind of expensive and I'm just wondering how much I'll actually need to do the project. They have it at $22.95 for 8 oz which makes 12 gallons and $41.95 for 24 oz which makes 24 gallons.
Will I need more than that? Is there something that works just as well that I can use that isn't so expensive... I tried that Borax crap, but I wanna experiment with different things.

Thanks!
-Jay
post #114 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcrime1204 View Post
I'm just wondering how much I'll actually need to do the project.

I'm thinking the exact same thing.

Also; would it be sacrilege to do a swirl on a strat?
post #115 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins345669 View Post
I'm thinking the exact same thing.

Also; would it be sacrilege to do a swirl on a strat?
No, but if your strat is a good american strat then it would be sacrilege. Best bet buy a mexican strat so if you mess it up you won't feel so bad.
post #116 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTac in my eye View Post
No, but if your strat is a good american strat then it would be sacrilege. Best bet buy a mexican strat so if you mess it up you won't feel so bad.

It's a Squier body from a project strat, which I bought for 40

Last edited by skins345669; 12-26-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: I like editing
post #117 of 117 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 AM

thanks very helpful

Tags
clear coat , custom guitar , custom guitars , edge trem , gibson les paul , guitar body , guitar tech , herc fede , ibanez guitars , jem swirl , les paul , les pauls , monkey grip , neck joint , patrick sims , swirl project , swirled body , vernon reid , zakk wylde , zakk wylde les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode