Swirl Paint job info - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Question Swirl Paint job info

Here is a question for all you guys who have had a swirl paint job. Who does them? What can I expect to pay? Is the finish smooth? Do you have a color choice? Who do you recommend?

Thanks
P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 06:24 PM

Re: Swirl Paint job info

Mastered by Mr Herc Fede. I live in the UK and at the time including shipping it cost me about 500. Yes the finish is perfectly smooth, I heard the clear coat is much thicker on a swirl. Being a slightly random process and depending on colours they eaither look stunning or like a pile of puke. Herc does very limited orders and i'm not sure what ATD work load is like at the moment?
There are plenty of threads on this forum about these finishs so try a search for more info
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 06:25 PM

Oh yeah sorry about the poor quality shot.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 07:33 PM

that's a great looking guitar
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 09:24 PM

and funny face.

herc fede is kinda of famous in guitar swirling, so if i had the money i would go to him.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 07:42 AM

lol yeah it's my 80's "oh my god i've got a nice guitar" pose. I'd definatly recommend Herc. I chose a bad time to have mine done as he got very ill and it took 18 months to get back to me, he only takes on orders he can cope with now. Thing is as soon as you open the box you forget all that, I was scared to even touch it at first and must have spent about 10mins just looking at it in the box. I have no doubt ATD work is just as stunning. check out their websites:

http://fededesigns.com/home

www.abouttimedesigns.com
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitarium

Mastered by Mr Herc Fede. I live in the UK and at the time including shipping it cost me about 500. Yes the finish is perfectly smooth, I heard the clear coat is much thicker on a swirl. Being a slightly random process and depending on colours they eaither look stunning or like a pile of puke. Herc does very limited orders and i'm not sure what ATD work load is like at the moment?
There are plenty of threads on this forum about these finishs so try a search for more info
Very nice. I love his swirls but 500 is ~$1000 Canadian. I guess I'm going to have to plan something different for my custom that's being built. Maybe LNG.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 03:25 PM

The exchange rate was a bit crap then. If you live in USA you haven't got as big shipping charges to pay.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 10:29 PM

This one was also swirled by Herc Fede.

He also stripped the original body and filled up a severe case of buckle rash... I would say it was very reasonably priced. I sent the body only, and new pickups and Edge was ordered. Really great stuff! And now he's back it seems, just saw one of his new swirled bodies on e"sitting on the dock of the bay". In a few years, these could be worth millions!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 10:51 PM

^^^ very frigging nice swirl and the red one too and what's with that AAAAHHHH mouth wide open
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 11:13 PM

Herc hasn't been doing swirls for quite some time now as I recall, he got sick or something. His website has been gone for ages. But ATD is still the master, I think $475 is average for a swirl, be prepared to wait, but you get the best and the original swirler!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor
This one was also swirled by Herc Fede.
I would say it was very reasonably priced.
*drool*

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
Herc hasn't been doing swirls for quite some time now as I recall, he got sick or something. His website has been gone for ages. But ATD is still the master, I think $475 is average for a swirl, be prepared to wait, but you get the best and the original swirler!
I don't know anything about his health or his work status but that website is up. http://fededesigns.com/home.html
Actually, ATD's site has been down for a few weeks now. I was planning on using ATD when I started this project but the wait for the work to be done is only part of the battle, the other part is the wait until he'll accept new work. I'll have to call again, as of ~3 months ago (the last time I called) he wasn't accepting new work for a few months.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 02:45 PM

Well, not to knock the work here, which is obviously stunning; but I've been searching the forums here for ideas on how to do this swirling thing and almost every one seems to think there is some voodo involved in swirling guitars! I swirled my Jem today with no more than a plastic tub, tap water, some enamel paint, and my wife to help out. two test runs on a piece of primed wood and then your done! Just a clear coat to do and thats it.

Why all the cash for doing this? It really is simple. Didn't even bother with any Borax (tried it, didn't do anything that the water wasn't already doing!)

Just do it your selves and save some serious cash!!!

Sorry for rubbish image, but I snapped this with my phone so... Anyway, Not the best swirl but certainly not the worst I've seen either!

Last edited by roquen777; 04-23-2006 at 02:53 PM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roquen777
Well, not to knock the work here, which is obviously stunning; but I've been searching the forums here for ideas on how to do this swirling thing and almost every one seems to think there is some voodo involved in swirling guitars! I swirled my Jem today with no more than a plastic tub, tap water, some enamel paint, and my wife to help out. two test runs on a piece of primed wood and then your done! Just a clear coat to do and thats it.

Why all the cash for doing this? It really is simple. Didn't even bother with any Borax (tried it, didn't do anything that the water wasn't already doing!)!
nice swirl mate, im about to do the same and was gonna get some plastikote enamels from the bay.
what paint did you use ?

J.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 06:55 PM

Thats very nice but there are two guys i'd get guitars swirled from and thats Herc Fede and jemsites very own Rich Fay. I got a bit of a cash problem at the moment but both will be hearing from me at somepoint. I can understand what your saying about it's costing all the money etc but I look at it like this:

1) I don't have the pain in the ass of striping it
2) You said about the paints you used, it would be interesting to see just how rich and vibrant the colours are compared to (and I don't mean this as a dig towards what you've done) pro work.
3) Clear coating from what i've read about it is a bitch and i'd rather have someone else do it
4) i'm too lazy to do it myself, lol.

Hope I havn't caused any offence.

Tags
buckle rash , clear coat , guitar tech , herc fede , ibanez jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode