SZ320 Bridge Alignment - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

SZ320 Bridge Alignment

I noticed recently that when I bend the high E, the note chokes out. After inspection, its very clear that strings are not perfectly centered in the bridge saddles, the worst being on the high E.

I took the strings off and removed the bridge to take a look at everything, and the saddles were freely moving when I had the bridge off. I was hoping that putting it back on with strings would fix it, but no luck.

Anyone have advice on how I can fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 02:02 PM

Re: SZ320 Bridge Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0202 View Post
I noticed recently that when I bend the high E, the note chokes out. After inspection, its very clear that strings are not perfectly centered in the bridge saddles, the worst being on the high E.

I took the strings off and removed the bridge to take a look at everything, and the saddles were freely moving when I had the bridge off. I was hoping that putting it back on with strings would fix it, but no luck.

Anyone have advice on how I can fix this?

I thought the Gibraltar III bridge was pretty bulletproof, but if you need a new one they are not too expensive. Great guitars!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Gibr...kAAOSwMnVd0vtW

You sure it's not choking out on a high fret? Is your action set up super low?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

I don't think its a fret choking it, because I purposefully left the action higher when I put it back together. Only a few more posts until I can post pictures

You can tell by looking at it that the strings (most obvious on the high E, but really all of them) are not parallel to the opening in the middle of the bridge saddles, if that makes sense.

That is the strange thing, like you said it is pretty bullet proof, so I doubt it's something wrong with the bridge, at least not something that can't be fixed. When I had it taken apart, there aren't that many moving pieces, so I'm hoping its something simple and stupid that I overlooked
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

This is my 5th post so maybe i can edit it and add the link to pictures now...
LINK: https://imgur.com/a/6EWnQQi

Last edited by Kev0202; 11-19-2019 at 05:49 PM. Reason: add link for pictures, 2nd try
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0202 View Post
This is my 5th post so maybe i can edit it and add the link to pictures now...
LINK: https://imgur.com/a/6EWnQQi

I think your bridge may be in backwards... The screw heads on the adjusters are supposed to face away from the pickups. I'll have to double check on my SZ when I get home from work, but a quick google image search seems to show them facing the other way. Of course, if your guitar is intonated properly right now, flipping the bridge will jack up the intonation, but it may solve the string choking issue.

By the way... Those colored pickup rings and pickups look cool!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I think your bridge may be in backwards... The screw heads on the adjusters are supposed to face away from the pickups. I'll have to double check on my SZ when I get home from work, but a quick google image search seems to show them facing the other way. Of course, if your guitar is intonated properly right now, flipping the bridge will jack up the intonation, but it may solve the string choking issue.

By the way... Those colored pickup rings and pickups look cool!
Wow, I bet you are right. After looking at some pics online it does seem that mine is backwards. Very strange, I have no memory of ever taking it off in the last ~15 years, and I know I put it back the same way a few weeks ago when I took it off.

I actually was having issues intonating it a few weeks ago so I gave up, but this could also help to explain those issues.

Hopefully will find time to mess with it over the next few days and see if I can get it bendable and intonated
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 10:04 PM

I checked mine tonight and the saddle adjustment screws do face away from the pickups, so flipping it may help the string choking and intonation.

I need to use mine more often... Great guitars!

Tags
alignment , bridge , saddle , sz320

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode