Taking guitar in for setup - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Taking guitar in for setup

Just got my RG1XXV and I definitely am going to need to get the guitar set up properly (I can't play on 9's, I need 10's. I'm also getting an annoying fret buzz on the 2nd fret.)

Only questions I have are, I looked at the manual provided with the guitar, and I didn't see much information regarding the EZII trem. I usually like to provide my tech with all documentation regarding the guitar just in case he hasn't touched a guitar with this trem system.

I looked on Ibanez's site, but they only have the 2010 model year information which has the EZ. Would this be sufficient enough for him? I think so, but does anyone know if there is anything on their site that offers some more information on the trem on my guitar specifically? The only visual difference I see is the ez comes with a tool to adjust intonation where as the ez2 doesn't?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:57 AM

Re: Taking guitar in for setup

Don't worry about it. Even if he has never seen one before a good tech will,

a.) be able to figure it out, it just ain't that hard for someone who does it every day.

b.) if they are not making sense of it themselves THEY will have the resources to research it themselves.

Don't insult your tech now, even a tech can be useful.

PS. if you mean guitar center by saying "tech" and not luthier, save your money. None of those jokers know what they are doing.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:37 PM

You don't have to be a luthier to know how to set-up a guitar properly... I do all of my own set-ups and have gotten pretty good at it..

I wouldn't attempt a re-fret.. That goes to a luthier...
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:03 PM

I just finished my first guitar set up ever on my new RG3550MZ as it also had obvious buzz on the 2nd fret and that went away when I loosened the truss rod a bit less than a 1/4 turn for more relief.

That first part was easy and the only scary moment was when I forgot I just installed the tremolo stud lock bolts and proceeded to lower the action... I caught myself after I turned the stud bolt just a tad and it seems like nothing bad happened.

Then came a hour of sheer monotony for tuning on the [email protected]#$% floating tremolo. I had switched from the factory 9-42's to 9-46 Blue Steel's and that just made for extra calibration steps (intonation was way different).

So would I do this again? Yes, if I had time as I did this weekend but I would probably just fork out the $100 for a full setup at the shop next time.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:10 PM

Im not sure what word gets thrown around here more out of context. Luthier or custom.
A luthier makes instruments. You don't need a luthier to do repairs, a tech can handle that. Just like you don't need someone that builds cars to change a tire.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Im not sure what word gets thrown around here more out of context. Luthier or custom.
A luthier makes instruments. You don't need a luthier to do repairs, a tech can handle that. Just like you don't need someone that builds cars to change a tire.

A tech soldiers pickups and turns screws, a luthier knows enough about the instrument to build, disassemble, and rebuild any stringed instrument. Never let a tech touch your guitar period. Either do it yourself or take it to someone who know's what they are doing.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaveUp View Post
Just got my RG1XXV and I definitely am going to need to get the guitar set up properly . . . .
Where'd you get it? If you bought it from an actual "brick and mortar" store, it's very reasonable to expect a free initial setup.

Peace

Mike
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
+1

It doesn't matter if it's a tech or a luthier, what matters is his knowledge.
A tech with good knowledge is better than a crap luthier.
If you need big changes like cutting body to fit other neck, you need a luthier.
If you need just a setup like intonation, bridge, pups etc, any tech could do it.
I never sent my guitars to strangers, all info about setting up guitar is on the net, why people still can't believe Google/Youtube do exist?
The problem about doing it yourself is if you don't have the propper tools to do it, in this case take it to a tech/luthier/whatever, ask to some good stores a tech they know or work for them, this way you have a good chance to find a good professional
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Where'd you get it? If you bought it from an actual "brick and mortar" store, it's very reasonable to expect a free initial setup.

Peace

Mike
I sold it. Maintained, adjusted, shaved exposed fret ends, and tested out perfect. Whatever adjustments he wanted to do Jason didn't write to ask after receipt except to say he loved it.

I can do anything to any guitar, but I'd never call myself a luthier. Even though technically, by definition, the term could be used, I reserve it for those that actually hand craft complete instruments from scratch. Everybody else is simply a tech, and many are excellent, while just as many have no business working on instruments for pay.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I sold it. Maintained, adjusted, shaved exposed fret ends, and tested out perfect. Whatever adjustments he wanted to do Jason didn't write to ask after receipt except to say he loved it.

I can do anything to any guitar, but I'd never call myself a luthier. Even though technically, by definition, the term could be used, I reserve it for those that actually hand craft complete instruments from scratch. Everybody else is simply a tech, and many are excellent, while just as many have no business working on instruments for pay.
word.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I sold it. . . .
Wow, that was the last thing I expected to hear. After I mentioned brick-and-mortar stores, I was going to write something about how he couldn't expect a good setup from an online seller (unless it was IbanezRules).

The rest of Rich's post is exactly how I see it, regarding the terms "luthier" and "tech."

Peace

Mike
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Vendor

Jason hasn't come back since starting this but

(I can't play on 9's, I need 10's. I'm also getting an annoying fret buzz on the 2nd fret.)

Maybe he just needed 10's thrown on it. And maybe the neck got too straight in the climate zone change, or maybe the ZPS that's in it feels like crap, it does to me if you're used to a free floater. We'll never know unless he pops back in
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Taking guitar in for setup

Quote:
Jason hasn't come back since starting this but

(I can't play on 9's, I need 10's. I'm also getting an annoying fret buzz on the 2nd fret.)

Maybe he just needed 10's thrown on it. And maybe the neck got too straight in the climate zone change, or maybe the ZPS that's in it feels like crap, it does to me if you're used to a free floater. We'll never know unless he pops back in
Oh crap, sorry to disappear for a bit. Works being quite hectic for me.

Let me just say, when I got the guitar from Rich it was as close to perfect as I would have wanted it. Only "problem" I had was I really haven't played a guitar with 9's on it for about 10 years. That being the case, I wanted to get 10's on it asap.

That's really the only reason I brought it to my friend for a "setup". Dropped it off, told him to throw the 10's in the case on and get it set to "low" action.

Picked it up from him a few days later (we're both too busy with our jobs I guess) and starting playing it, and something didn't feel right. Strings felt lighter than I had thought they would. Turns out he completely missed what I said about putting the new strings on it. No biggie, we strung it up and he actually took me through the whole setup process so I could do it on my own if I ever needed to make little adjustments.

I almost have the guitar set up completely perfect to what I want, but I am still making slight changes to the truss rod and action here and there. (Rich's site has more than enough information than most would ever need to properly set it up. And well, it's always fun to learn!). Although, I am using the 1.7mm high E 14th fret that ibanez is suggesting. Only thing is, it seems it is pushing it pretty close to bottoming out the stud.

I really just want it to be known that the way Rich sent it to me was fantastic. If I liked the lighter strings I wouldn't have had to do ANYTHING to it. Please don't try and mix what I said in the initial post to say anything bad about him or his site. When I decide to purchase another ibanez, I will only be buying it from him. Only difference would be opting for the bronze package and having him set it up the right way first
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Vendor

I figured it was something like that, but climate changes can screw things up so I wasn't sure

Check to see if I locked the set screw in the stud and that's what is keeping you from lowering it. I normally would.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode