Taking strings off jem 7vwh? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Taking strings off jem 7vwh?

Hi everyone, I feel like a real Noob asking this question lol. But the frets on my Jem 7VWH need cleaned a polished pretty badly so I plan to take that on this weekend. I'm going to use painters tape to completely cover the fretboard (other than the frets of course), and use 0000 grade steel wool and a polishing agent to get the frets nice and shiny again. Obviously to do this its necessary to take the strings off the guitar, but I have read many places that its not a good idea to take all of the strings off these Jems. I assume its because the necks are thinner than most standard guitars so you have to keep the tension as uniform as possible? Anyway just wanted your feedback on this issue, I mean I'm sure its not a good idea to take the strings off for long periods of time, or very often. But there shouldnt be any danger in having them off for a half hour to an hour while I work on the frets right? Thanks for your advice guys, normally this is something I would just go forward with without even asking, but I love this guitar so I want to do it right. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 03:09 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: Taking strings off jem 7vwh?

I've taken all of the strings off of my Jem 7vwh many times and it seems ok. How else are you supposed to change pups, clean the board, etc? I'm not a luthier but I think it should be fine - especially given that you will only have all of the strongs off for a short period of time.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Thats pretty much what I figured too, I mean the Ibanez manual that comes with the guitar warns of not removing all the strings. But like you said, how are you supposed to do work on the guitar if you cant take the strings off??? They must just mean dont take them off for long periods of time....
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 03:26 PM

People advise not taking all the strings off at once because it's a royal pain in the a$$ to rebalance the tension with the trem springs from scratch. It has nothing at all to do with the neck, which will be just fine either way. The best way around the rebalancing issue is to remove the trem with the strings still attached, clean the frets and then replace the trem. Go over to the tech section of ibanezrules.com for step-by-step instructions.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

AHH!!! That makes sense, thanks so much!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM

Reviews: 10

I just press the bar/trem down so I can put a 9 volt battery under the tail of the trem in the cavity when I take all of the strings off at once and that seems to keep it close enough for me to work on it and replace the strings.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM

Reviews: 1

Just flip the guitar on it's front. Remove the trem cover. Remove the springs and hold onto the trem. While holding the trem in place, flip it back over. Now, pull back a little on the trem to unseat it from the posts. Now you have access to clean the board, change pups, or whatever and the strings are still attached. Reverse for assembly.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

awesome thanks for the advice guys I will definitly do that, you just saved me a lot of time, cheers!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 PM

Reviews: 37

To add.
If it was bad to take all the strings off at once , why would you be able to use a tremelo that takes all the tension off all the strings constantly.

I always take the springs off the trem and put aside , then re install trem and its always almost in tune .

Like others said ibanezrules tells you exactly how to do this..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Just finished the fret polishing, came out great! Thanks everyone for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00037.JPG (86.3 KB, 0 views)

Tags
cleaning , fret polish , jem 7vwh , strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode