Teak oil ? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Teak oil ?

Is there a reason why people dont use teak oil on guitars ?

I have used it a lot, mainly because I always have it to hand because I like to use it on furniture, and I like the smell.

Obv its darker than lemon oil and will make a maple fretboard dark over time but I dont mind that.

The only big minus I know of is teak usually comes from rainforests so its not very ecofriendly but I dont think the amounts I use cause serious damage.

Just seems odd thats its very common for furniture but rare for guitars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Teak oil ?

Teak oil is a wipe on finish oil that's used to seal wood up. You don't use it on rosewood finger board thought, cause you don't really want to seal up rose wood. It can be used for sealing up maple finger board or necks after sanding down the original lacquer. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInRockFormations View Post
The only big minus I know of is teak usually comes from rainforests so its not very ecofriendly but I dont think the amounts I use cause serious damage.

And that's the attitude that has caused the destruction in the first place. What one person does never affects anything that much. It's when you multiply the amount of people you multiply the problem. That's why we need "ecofriendly" practices when it comes to anything. If we'd all us common sense about it all it would all get better. I'm not coming down on you, and I'm not some save the planet hippie that only showers when it rains, but I'm just saying.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faekildare View Post
Teak oil is a wipe on finish oil that's used to seal wood up. You don't use it on rosewood finger board thought, cause you don't really want to seal up rose wood. It can be used for sealing up maple finger board or necks after sanding down the original lacquer. Hope this helps.
yes, but

I thought the point of oiling the fingerboard was to stop it drying out and shrinking or warping, so if the rosewood is sealed it will last longer before drying out ? Why is this not good ?

I often use WD40 to clean the strings, probably that would get into the fingerboard if it wasnt oiled or sealed, I guess teak oil is better than WD40 ?

I got a guitar with a rosewood fingerboard that looked a bit dry last week, put some teak oil on it and it looked and felt a lot better to me, I guess other oils might be better but teak oil seems to work.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 08:00 AM

Fret Boards;
Lemon Oil or Scot's Liquid Gold

Body's;
True Oil, Tongue Oil or Teak Oil
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInRockFormations View Post
yes, but

I thought the point of oiling the fingerboard was to stop it drying out and shrinking or warping, so if the rosewood is sealed it will last longer before drying out ? Why is this not good ?

I often use WD40 to clean the strings, probably that would get into the fingerboard if it wasnt oiled or sealed, I guess teak oil is better than WD40 ?

I got a guitar with a rosewood fingerboard that looked a bit dry last week, put some teak oil on it and it looked and felt a lot better to me, I guess other oils might be better but teak oil seems to work.
No... u don't really want to seal up rosewood finger board.... That would prevent you from oiling in the future....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:51 PM

Well one of my relatives is obsessed with teak furniture...
Teak is an EXTREMELY oily wood by nature. So that "oil" must be some crazy stuff or not even oil at all.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:59 PM

It's not so much as it is an oil, it is more of a finish. Once absorbed it will build up and can be wet sanded/polished. As where the Lemon or SLG is an oil that will need replenishing thru out time.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 01:01 PM

Hmm...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:00 PM
rgx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Tongue Oil
That's waaay too brutal
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Fret Boards;
Lemon Oil or Scot's Liquid Gold

Body's;
True Oil, Tongue Oil or Teak Oil
This!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 05:26 PM

teak is ok, i find that for a decent finish using teak oil it has to be applied at least 20 times with a 24 hour drying time and i usually apply it hot with a plant sprayer or something.
just a quick de-nib with a cloth between coats is all thats needed and of course, wiping off the excess about 20 mins after application.
good finish.

i also mix/make a lot of oil finishes and its a good base for some of that stuff..

i dont think its true to say that not many guitar makers use it, i know of a few but, tru oil is much easier to build a thick finish quickly and has a pretty high sheen so it tends to be favoured by most using oil finishes.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 04:03 PM

Please do your research before jumping on ecological high-horses. Modern teak oil is a mixture of linseed and tung oil, NOT teak oil. Comments like that only bring conservation efforts into disrepute.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 04:38 PM
Vendor

That might have been helpful 9 years ago...
Algiman and Reinder like this.

Tags
teak oil neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode