Tell me about refretting. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Tell me about refretting.

I play about 3 hours a day I have had my 2013 rg since the beginning of the year and I am starting to notice wear on my frets, this is understandable when I take into account the hours I have put on it and my constant soloing and bending.

I don't like the sound of this level and crown stuff, I want my frets to be tall as they are new so I guess I should get a stainless steel refret? this has also made me wonder with my amount of playing how long the stainless steel frets will last and how many refrets can a neck take? does it get to a point where you are just refretting into glue so you can always refret or does the neck or fretboard? eventually need to be replaced?

Which leads to if the neck needs to be replaced where do you buy replacement necks can you buy them from ibanez, and if not why?

the nut tuners and saddles all seem to be easily replaceable but not the frets so I have these questions, so could someone that has more experience and probably had the same questions when they were at my level please give me the low down to save my headaches.

Thank you and sorry about the grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Tell me about refretting.

Just replace the frets.
projectguitar.com has a few great tuts to help.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Just replace the frets.
projectguitar.com has a few great tuts to help.
I see haha, I know the process isn't impossible but if ibanez just sold replacement necks things would be better, gah anyway what do I know.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 05:04 PM

Reviews: 14

There is no need to replace a neck because frets are worn.

EVO and SS fret wire will last much longer than regular fret wire.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 06:40 PM

Reviews: 2

without pics of your frets, it's impossible to give sound advice. My opinion is that it would be foolish to replace perfectly good frets only because they need a crown and dress. The amount of material removed would be negligible and leave you with a neck that your obviously already comfortable with. New frets will leave you with a new, but foreign feeling neck.

Honestly, if it ain't broke.................

Edit: BTW.... forget about getting a replacement neck unless yours has a serious factory defect. Ebay would be your only source AFAIK.

Edit 2: Which RG do you have?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
without pics of your frets, it's impossible to give sound advice. My opinion is that it would be foolish to replace perfectly good frets only because they need a crown and dress. The amount of material removed would be negligible and leave you with a neck that your obviously already comfortable with. New frets will leave you with a new, but foreign feeling neck.

Honestly, if it ain't broke.................

Edit: BTW.... forget about getting a replacement neck unless yours has a serious factory defect. Ebay would be your only source AFAIK.

Edit 2: Which RG do you have?
Really? so what happens after you have crowned a few times, the frets are real low and it's time for a refret? wouldn't that feel somewhat more foreign?

At the moment my frets are not too worn, but I was just thinking of the future, I think I will just refret stainless though I reckon.

Also it's the RG421 and it's amazing! I was also thinking of upgrading the infinitys to passive emg metalworks if that interests you crazy ibanez people haha.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:02 PM

Crowning won't actually take any height off. It merely narrows the area of contact that the string hits. Leveling will take off a little height (up to .010" max), but being a 2013, I doubt you'll need that much. My bet would be that you'd need no more than .005" to get level. The difference will be in a good dressing. With that, you'll feel like the frets were brand new again.

As to the future, Every guitar has a finite amount of re-fret's that it can take. The longer you put that off, the longer the board will last you.

The 421 is a killer guitar. A real workhorse that's pleasant on the eyes!! I played a few last year, I loved it. I just wish the pups were direct mount.

I'd love to hear some clips of the metalworks, they sound promising..........
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Crowning won't actually take any height off. It merely narrows the area of contact that the string hits. Leveling will take off a little height (up to .010" max), but being a 2013, I doubt you'll need that much. My bet would be that you'd need no more than .005" to get level. The difference will be in a good dressing. With that, you'll feel like the frets were brand new again.

As to the future, Every guitar has a finite amount of re-fret's that it can take. The longer you put that off, the longer the board will last you.

The 421 is a killer guitar. A real workhorse that's pleasant on the eyes!! I played a few last year, I loved it. I just wish the pups were direct mount.

I'd love to hear some clips of the metalworks, they sound promising..........

Yeah I just really like this guitar and want to keep it, I can foresee a fair few years of play with that helpfull info and if time runs out just get a new neck of evilbay etc

Yeah I really want to get some passive metalworks but first I gotta invest in a hardcase for this baby haha, cheers man.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 04:53 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultist View Post
Yeah I just really like this guitar and want to keep it, I can foresee a fair few years of play with that helpfull info and if time runs out just get a new neck of evilbay etc

Yeah I really want to get some passive metalworks but first I gotta invest in a hardcase for this baby haha, cheers man.
I really don't understand why you think at some point you'll need a new neck. Barring you snapping it beyond repair, which is unlikely, you won't need to replace it. Just refret if you ever need to.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I really don't understand why you think at some point you'll need a new neck. Barring you snapping it beyond repair, which is unlikely, you won't need to replace it. Just refret if you ever need to.
Exactly!!

Switching neck could be a monumental mistake. Especially if you really like the one you have. No 2 necks are identical. You could end up getting something you hate.

Take care of the frets you have, when it's time to crown and polish....DO IT. When a re-fret becomes necessary, bite the bullet and have it done by a pro. That neck will take care of you for MANY decades if you take care of it.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 06:19 PM

Reviews: 120

Exactly. I've snapped my trusty old 95 RG 470 neck twice over the years at the locking nut, and I would never retire that neck. Sure it is in dire need of a fret job now, but that neck combined with the body are just amazing. It's ugly with all its repair work, knocks and dings, but it plays so amazingly well.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 06:35 PM

As an example, This is an '88 (25 year old) Wizard with the original fret wire. I did a simple level, crown, and dress on it. Can you see any reason to replace it??

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
As an example, This is an '88 (25 year old) Wizard with the original fret wire. I did a simple level, crown, and dress on it. Can you see any reason to replace it??
Yes that neck is shot Ryc... Send it to me and I'll ensure that it gets disposed of properly
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

yay lol no neck replacment for me ever!

EDIT: while we are here has anyone ever experienced this...

You do a set up on your guitar...

After a week the action has raised 1/2 of a mm from the 24th fret for no reason, you check the neck and it's spot on to when you did the setup (fret 1st and 24th, A4 sheet thickness between string and 7th fret)

Why? Why? Why? so strange?

Last edited by Cultist; 07-08-2013 at 11:14 PM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultist View Post

look at all of us with 20-30 year old Ibanez guitars--do you think we ever changed necks because the frets were worn?

You don't take your car in for an engine replacement when the oil is low.

Just take care of it, redress, then refret when needed.

Tags
fix , fret , neck , replace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode