Thick E & A Fret buzz on RG321MH - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thick E & A Fret buzz on RG321MH

Hi,

I have been having this problem and can't just understand how to solve it. Thick E & A buzz very audibly on first few frets (counting from headstock) if I pick more aggressively. I have tried adjusting the neck-relief, and more there's bow, less there's buzz but I do not really enjoy the idea of very high action. I also have tried to adjust the bridge pieces for those strings but even then I couldn't eliminate the buzz completely, it's always there if I pick aggressively. If I tighten the truss rod straightening the neck to very straight, the buzz is extreme, it can be heard always, again on the first few frets, moving closer to the middle tho.

This is my first guitar and the buzz was there earlier too but not as clearly as now after stringchange. I changed strings to D'addario 09-42 set after the old set's string snapped, no idea what brand that set was since it was on guitar when I bought it, but it was a thicker set.

This guitar has a history of standing on a support for years since previous owner never could learn to play and then sold it to me.

I know I would probably be better off letting a tech to take a look at it but since I am not really rich and have other uses for money in upcoming times, I would like to try and solve this myself with you guys help.

Thank you in advance for any ideas. This thing is really hindering my learning and eating my motivation.

Last edited by Lasse.; 01-24-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 03:13 PM

Re: Thick E & A Fret buzz on RG321MH

Might need some fretwork done. Sounds like the first few frets are a little high on the bass side.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Wonder how expensive this kind of work usually is...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Contributor

If it has a locking nut you can shim under the low side of the nut to get rid of the buzz.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Sadly it's a fixed type with older non-Gibraltar type bridge.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Contributor

Well, it is a new nut or fretwork, I'd have to see it in perseon.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'll try to find a local tech/luthier who knows his stuff and doesn't charge huge amounts of money. Thank you guys!

Tags
fret buzz , rg 321mh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode