Thickest string that fits through bridge/nut (without filing) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By ozzuk
  • 2 Post By Neon_Knight_
  • 1 Post By peromucho7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2021, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Question Thickest string that fits through bridge/nut (without filing)

Without any filing / modification, what's the thickest string gauge that would fit an Ibanez guitar?

a) Edge Zero + Barless Top-Lok (RG2550Z)
b) Gibraltar II + Graph Tech Black TUSQ XL (RG652FX)

Would the answer be different for any other bridges (Edge, Edge III, Lo Pro, Tight End etc.) or for a locking nut from a certain era?

I imagine there's some degree of variance (especially with the plastic nuts on fixed-bridge models), but approximations would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2021, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Re: Thickest string that fits through bridge/nut (without filing)

The reason for my question:

I bought an RG652FX last summer with the intention of setting it up in B standard and installing D-Activators, primarily for death metal. I anticipate needing a string gauge in the region of 54-60 for the low B and assume this will require widening the slot (making it too wide for future use with lighter strings, without replacing the nut?).

It's currently in D standard with the stock Tone Zone & Air Norton and I'm now considering keeping this setup for doom and stoner metal, due to the Tone Zone's superior low-end and ease of switching between Eb/D/C tuning (compared to my other guitars, which all have floating trems and pickups with more of a high-end focus). This would mean getting another guitar to use in B standard.

I'm thinking that if I buy another RG (or perhaps RGD) for use in B standard, I may save myself hassle with the set-up if I get a model with a floating bridge, instead of fixed - due to the metal nut accommodating thicker strings without modification.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2021, 07:59 AM

Reviews: 12
Great question and not something you see answered or asked often, original floyds and the edge and gotoh floyd have tons of room for thciker strings there probably is an upper limit but you do get a lot of leeway.

I fit 12-52 on my schaller FR without issue other than needig to adjust the bridge for intonation and typical fr setup.

Now does the edge zero have as much room for the string in the bridge?? I know from what I have seen it has a different type of string lock, perhaps you would need to buy a replacement one and have a spare to file down if it is needed.

The nut may require work but it might just fit a 54 without the need for work.

Maybe above that might be where things require work.

If the edge zero needs no work it will be easybut it might be a real pain should you need to adjust or start filing stuff to fit.

I think the fixed bridge option would be slightly easier work if it has to be modded.

Good luck!
Neon_Knight_ likes this.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

12-52 seems an unusual gauge. Custom balanced set?

I think I'm going to stick with my original plan of the RG652FX in B standard.

My collection was one short of what I wanted/needed, so I've got a late Christmas present to myself on it's way from Ibanez Rules - should arrive tomorrow

WMerkert and peromucho7 like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 01:03 PM

That is nice looking guitar. Congratulation.
Neon_Knight_ likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

J. Custom RG8520 - sodalite finish.

Tags
low tuning , string gauge , thickest string

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode