To those who have built an electic guitar (not assembled one) - Double-neck question. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

To those who have built an electic guitar (not assembled one) - Double-neck question.

I have decided that I want to make an electric guitar. It will be my 2nd one. The 1st one I did when I was 15.

This time I want to build/cut/glue/sand/assemble all of it, including the neck.

And I have decided that i want to build a double neck with 12-string.

And i have a design in mind that makes the the 2 headstocks join, and become one.

A daunting task i know for a 2nd time build, but I think I can do it.

But now I have a question regarding double-neck electrics;

When I googled double-neck guitars, 97% of them come back in the standard independent and seperate neck configuration.

Very few of them joined.

Can anyone tell me why (other than the obvious extra precision work involved) I WOULDNT want to try something like this?

I have a design in mind that I like, but I figured I would ask the experts here first...

Thanks -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 04:07 AM

Re: To those who have built an electic guitar (not assembled one) - Double-neck quest

I would make seperate necks for so many reasons, too much to type.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 04:43 AM

Re: To those who have built an electic guitar (not assembled one) - Double-neck quest

If you really want the necks joined then maybe consider use a *bridging* piece of wood attached to both headstocks in some way, that way you can remove it to access each neck separately if you need to, in my experience (I've had 3) they can be neck heavy and adding weight to the headstocks won't help. I like the idea, but I think it will be impractical as I doubt the necks will be sufficiently identical and you may need to adjust them differently.
Jim
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

I have a really cool design in mind, with a really cool 3 dimensional headstock shape.

I thought it would be neat to join it all together.

I also thought it may help with sustain and tone.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:23 PM

Search up Auerswald guitars. They have a wooden beam connection neck and heastock. Some of the other crazy abominations from the 80's do that too.

Main reason? It doesn't DO anything except make an already neckheavy instrument even more neckheavy. And percieved increases in sustain due to a system like that would be exactly that - percieved. You'd get more extra sustain from using a thicker neck profile, a denser material, or just flat out making the thing better. Heres a hint btw, volutes are GREAT THINGS. Just because older ibanez dont have them doesnt negate that. They REALLY help, not just instrength but also in curbing excess vibration in the headstock, and making the string/neck interface more secure. It increases sustain!

Tags
build , double-neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode