Threaded neck inserts- opinions sought - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Threaded neck inserts- opinions sought

Has anyone replaced their normal wood screws at the neck heel with threaded inserts and machine screws? I'm considering this for my Universe neck. I know there's a mounting kit available (quite expensive if I recall), but I'd like to get the inserts at the hardware store and try that.

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

btw: I did a search on "neck" and "attachment" and "threaded" and "inserts" and didn't find anything (if I missed previous discussion, sorry, please remove, thanks)

wemedge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 12:09 PM

what's wrong with yours?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 12:36 PM

http://www.mcnaughtguitars.com/index40.htm

Seems like a great idea to me, especially with the threaded inserts epoxied in place like Mr. McNaught does. You can probably go to your local hardware store and find exactly the parts you need without paying "boutique guitar parts supplier" prices.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno
what's wrong with yours?
Actually the question should be, "what's wrong with wemedge?" ha :

I routed some new cavities on the body,refinished the guitar, and then re-refinished again, re-carved the neck heel on the body- can't stop tinkering, etc., well, you get the picture. neck comes off quite frequently. (only the neck is Universe, body is replacement-so no horrific carving on a Universe body, no fear). The neck heel is not holding up too well with the wood screws.

Darren, thanks for the link. I'll head to the hardware shop shortly.

wemedge
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 01:44 PM

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 03:20 PM

For the longest time I've thought about installing a T-nut style system before you put the fretboard on. So you'd have the pressure pulling down over a wider surface area between the fretboard and the neck. What I really wanted to do was to build something that looked like a little "coffee table" where you had a table top, and four "legs" The legs would be cyllinders and be threaded inside. It would go under the fretboard and then you'd have about 5 square inches of even downward pressure. The Maxxas used two T-nuts with two screws, and believe it or not, Westone had the threaded inserts with flat "pancake" topped bolts. I've seen everything for sale in woodworker's supply, including the Westone style system. The problem I would have is the same as the Seagulls and other acoustics that use that method sideways. If the threaded insert pulls a little, now you're just tightening the bolt against the insert. In other words, there have been some Seagulls where you could get a business card through the neck area even though the bolts were tight. So long as your inserts are 1/16" recessed everything should be fine and I love the idea. BTW what you don't want are T-nuts, because you can't install them, or the "expanding style" inserts. Those are usually fluted and knurled, and when you put the bolt in they expand to hold their place.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
....So long as your inserts are 1/16" recessed everything should be fine and I love the idea. BTW what you don't want are T-nuts, because you can't install them, or the "expanding style" inserts. Those are usually fluted and knurled, and when you put the bolt in they expand to hold their place.
Thank you for the tip; I wouldn't have known to do that- I'll recess the inserts. Couldn't find threaded inserts at Canadian Tire. Maybe Home Depot will have 'em.

Darren-thanks again for the info.

wemedge
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 09:22 PM

http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/search.exe?BP=1

These are the ones Westone used. They used the "D" style which you'd have to recess with a countersink or a dremel, but the E style can go beneath the surface because it has no flange.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:46 AM

using threaded inserts and machine screws to mount a neck will give you a little bit stronger/tighter neck joint, but the main advantage is if you take the neck on and off a lot, say for travel purposes so you can stash the guitar in a suitcase or something.

"Helicoils," a type of non-expanding threaded insert that auto mechanics use, are good for mounting in necks. however, you'll need to be extremely careful drilling out the neck holes -- they must be exactly straight or the screws won't go in, there's no wiggle room like with wood screws. a drill press is mandantory for this type of precision drilling, and you should probably practice on some scrap first.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 12:38 PM
Fry

I think helicoils got replaced by permacoils. I don't know, I just can never find helicoils any more. I'm not sure how well they would work in wood though. It's just like a spring that you screw into the new threads that you drill. Seems like they would just slip and destroy the wood threads that it was seated in.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry
I'm not sure how well they would work in wood though. It's just like a spring that you screw into the new threads that you drill. Seems like they would just slip and destroy the wood threads that it was seated in.
you have to match them to the diameter of the hole, but the threads will grip fine.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much to all for the input and suggestions.

I used the E type threaded inserts and recessed them slightly(Thanks, Frank).

Attaching the neck was much easier after that; took less effort. Feels like a more solid attachment to me now.

wemedge
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Fry

hey Scott, are there heli coils at your local stores? The stores around me say that they are replaced by permacoils, but they are kind of stupid.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry
hey Scott, are there heli coils at your local stores? The stores around me say that they are replaced by permacoils, but they are kind of stupid.
i haven't looked for them recently, so i don't know. if they have been replaced with something else, that may change things.

Tags
neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode