Tightening the trem bar with nail polish...anyone do this? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Tightening the trem bar with nail polish...anyone do this?

reference: http://www.jemsite.com/tech/t_3other.htm#tremarmrot

Has anyone here actually done this? Maybe I did something wrong, but the bar won't fit in at all even with a tiny amount of nail polish, so I had to take it all off.

I want my bar to stay where I put it. Should I just order two new little plastic circle things (that go on the trem bar), or is there something else I can try?

~nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 01:32 PM

I did it, it is not easy to get some good results and it doesn't hold long.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 01:43 PM

You put it on too thick. Just put a super thin coat on and let it dry completely. Put the washers back on and test it out. Tight? You're good to go. Not tight? Go back to step one and repeat. I do this all the time and it works great. After a couple of times you will know how thick of a coat to use and be able to eyeball the amount to put on and won't have to keep guessing. Good luck.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 07:19 PM

Teflon tape
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 11:53 PM

Cut a circle out of a thin plastic bag, put it over the hole then push the trem arm in with the plastic. Works great.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo
Cut a circle out of a thin plastic bag, put it over the hole then push the trem arm in with the plastic. Works great.
How big of a circle? I don't want it to get stuck in there...doesn't seem like this is a very efficient method.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 03:36 PM

You could simply put nail polish on that "gap" on the bushings and let it dry... Apply until it reaches the same height as the bushing. I has worked for me, no need to remove the washer (it gets softer if you remove and put again it a lot of times). It lasts for 2 or 3 days if you don't remove the arm.

When I tried Teflon tape, it worked as well, but it lasts a lot less and it sucks when coming to remove the arm
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 03:21 PM

The pros and cons of the "nail polish trick" have been debated to death . . . I won't go into it again here, you can search the forums for it.

I've tried it, wears off fast and people look at you funny when they see "Autumn Red" nail polish on your work bench. Some have good luck with it, others are like me . . .

Just order a bag of 12 from Rich or more if you wear them out fast.

They aren't expensive and "the right tool for the right job" and all that horse-hash.

Seems to me there's more wear done to those bushings pushing the bar in and out than actual use.

Something to always look for though, when you pop the bushings off the bar make sure you put them on right side up.

There is a gentle slope to them and you have to have the narrow end go in first. Easy way to tell, the narrow end has three mold injection "dots" on it; those go toward the pointed end, the end that goes into the arm holder in the bridge.

For years I tried to eye-ball the damned slope until someone pointed out to me the three "dots" are always on the narrow end. DUH! :-)

Makes them last a little longer, but they still wear out pretty quick if you case your guitar every time you're finished playing.

Anyway . . . call or email Rich, he'll hook you up. :-)

Mic

Tags
arm holder , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode