TIGHTEST feeling strings. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

TIGHTEST feeling strings.

I made a thread over in 7 strings about how my low B tuning 'sags' when playing it.

I also made a reply to a thread here about tension in strings, about the different metallurgys of strings.

Now, I know WHY a string goes up in pitch when you first hit it. Its simple, you've increased the tension, but that got me to thinking...strings with stiff metallurgy are naturally less easy to bend...which means in theory, using the striffest strings possible on a Low B string, might help the tuning sag....very, very slightly.

So, hence my search...I'm willing to try a few different brands in search of whether this actually helps at all, but I don't know where to start. I like D'addarios, but they're very stretchy strings naturally, in my experience. Any reccomendations? Are DR tite fits the same as the name implies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:45 PM

Re: TIGHTEST feeling strings.

Just build your own set mate,alter the strings that bug you until you find the feel you like.

I,many many others and all the pro's do this,check out this great thread.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/st...tension+charts
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
Just build your own set mate,alter the strings that bug you until you find the feel you like.

I,many many others and all the pro's do this,check out this great thread.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/st...tension+charts
I've already been through that chart and it didn't help. The low B just felt like a bridge cable. Sure, the tension was slightly better, but the tone suffered by being TOO thick and having no definition. And yes, I did go through the whole set, I didn't just change the low B.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
I've already been through that chart and it didn't help. The low B just felt like a bridge cable. Sure, the tension was slightly better, but the tone suffered by being TOO thick and having no definition. And yes, I did go through the whole set, I didn't just change the low B.
Hi - I know this thread is a little old (I'm new), but in my experience, I've found Dean Markley Blue Steel strings to 'feel' stiffer than most due to the cryo freezing process. Might be worth a shot - amazing sounding strings, but tough to use if you do a lot of bending. (The process is used for violin strings = stiffer the better, no bending.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode