Tone Control Mod - 50s Style Wiring - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Tone Control Mod - 50s Style Wiring

This is maybe the most simple thing you can do to change the sound of your guitar. If you use your volume and/or tone knob you'll see what I mean. Simple? All you have to do is to move one wire from one lug of one pot to another lug on that pot. It's so simple how can you not try it?

Last edited by ashbass; 03-15-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 09:31 PM

Re: Tone Control Mod - 50s Style Wiring

I have one of my Les Pauls wired up this way, I have a love/hate relationship with it
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 PM

Reviews: 1

What exactly is it supposed to do to the sound?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
What exactly is it supposed to do to the sound?
Try it and see.

Ok, it keeps more of your high end when you roll down the volume, avoiding the typical mud associated with lower volume settings. This is not the same as the treble bleed, or high-pass filter, mod as it allows the vol pot and tone pot to work as they are designed to without any artificial skirting of their function. The two controls work better together with this wiring.

You really have to try it know. It's not easy to describe.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:45 PM

Reviews: 1

Ok, I have an idea what you're talking about. I'm getting new pups put in my LP Classic soon and so that would be a good time to get it rewired. I do like treble bleed circuits though. I'm constantly changing my volume control to adjust the amount of distortion.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
LP Classic
See here then: http://dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/Gibson50s.html
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Bump to save the world.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbass View Post
Try it and see.

Ok, it keeps more of your high end when you roll down the volume, avoiding the typical mud associated with lower volume settings. This is not the same as the treble bleed, or high-pass filter, mod as it allows the vol pot and tone pot to work as they are designed to without any artificial skirting of their function. The two controls work better together with this wiring.

You really have to try it know. It's not easy to describe.
It's essentially an alternative to using a high pass filter - it's not the same approach, but it does essentially the same thing, by letting a little more treble bleed through than bass as you roll the tone down.

I tried this on my strat for a while, before I went back to a treble bleed. It works... But, it also noticeably ramps up the aggressiveness of your volume knob. For some people that's great. For me, I like to use my volume knob as a "gain" control a little bit with modestly saturated lead tones, and it was just too aggressive in the 7-10 range for me to have the kind of control I wanted, so I went back to a standard treble bleed cap, with no resistor (a la most Ibanez guitars - I guess it's just what I'm used to, in terms of response, after all these years).

It's closer to the "feel" of a treble bleed cap with a capacitor AND a resistor, as I recall, but with a more aggressive volume taper than normal. So, while it's worth giving a shot if you're handy with a soldering iron, I don't know how popular it'll be here.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

It's an easy enough mod to do and reverse. I have it on all my humbucker guitars, Gibson (where it originated) and Ibanez. Al it supposed to do is keep your volume more natural sounding as you roll it down. It works.

Unless you have a master tone setup on your strat I think that there would be trouble because you'd be linking two tone pots to the one vol pot. That way both tone pots are always in the circuit together. So you'd be combining the two. I think that that would affect tone strangely. I've only put it on single vol + single tone setups.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 03:42 PM

As it happens, I DO have a master tone - I've never gotten the point of separate tone controls for a Strat, so when I rewired my Strat back to SSS I grabed a 1Vol - 1Tone pickguard. I've read this is a pretty common side-effect, that it increases the taper speed.

I'm not saying that's a BAD thing - if you like the taper on your volume, you'd probably find the one on my Strat too slow for you. It's just different. For me, a treble bleed was the better solution that gave me a nice, even gain reduction with no perceptible loss of treble as I rolled my volume back. That's because this is what I personally want my volume control to do. If you want something different, then my solution is probably the wrong one for you, and I know you're not the only guy who likes that particular approach to preserving your high end as you roll the volume back. It's totally worth giving a shot if you've never tried it, it's just for me personally it wasn't the right solution.

Tags
les paul , les pauls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode