too less response to tapping above 12th fret - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

too less response to tapping above 12th fret

I was wondering if i could get help on tapping issues on my Washburn N2. The problem is its not responsive beyond the 12th fret, and a little less on the rest of the board. I adjusted the truss rod a few times but the problem remains. I also scalloped the frets from 12 onwards. Maybe i just need the neck to bend towards the bridge. How do i do that ( dunno what thats called - relief or bow). Can anyone help me please. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 07:10 AM

Re: too less response to tapping above 12th fret

Hey man if the neck is bent and the headstock is pointing towards the sky when the guitar is on its back then loosen the truss rod. If the neck is bent and the headstock is pointing towards the ground when the guitar is on its back then it needs to be tightened. I aim for the neck to be totally flat. So if you put a ruler over the frets then the ruler wont 'sea-saw' and will remain flush tight to the metal.

I can only suggest this man....if you could upload some pictures then I guess it might help!

Take care.

Chris
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

ok, thanks Chris I got that, right now its pretty straight and since the problem is no response to tapping i thought having the neck go up skywards would help a bit. Don't know what the problem is, i tried to put the pickup higher too but that doesnt help only makes the sound more compressed. Thanks anyway man.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 AM

Hmmm, well here are some random things that it might be....

1) Action too high or too low.
2) Perhaps the scalloped frets take some getting used to when tapping.

Is there a big difference when fretting notes above the 12th? If so then I think that you should perhaps consult a luthier or guitar repair man!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Yep, i thought action might be the problem, tried all different types and there were subtle differences none that were substantial. Maybe the second thing you said Big Job that was something, i do exert more pressure while fretting those scalloped frets. I use a pod and since i dont have a pedal for it i bought a Boss Ds1 to provide the distortion as well as switch fro clean to dirty but there's a cut in gain and thats adding to the problem though i love the sound of the Ds1. Maybe i'll just have to tap harder i think. I'd love to hear of anything that might help so keep em coming guys. Thanks

Tags
fret , tapping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode