Treble Bleed (331 Capacitor) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Treble Bleed (331 Capacitor)

Looking ate new features on the new Pia, noticed that Steve Vai dont use the treble bleed when he is using overdrive on his guitars. That push/pull turns the high pass filter on/off and he uses only when he wants to clean the sound.

I got my 1st Jem this month and noticed that I had to push the bass a lot to find the sound I like. Thinking to myself I noticed that the only difference of my guitars is this detail.

Does this capacitor cuts off the low freq even when it's on 10?

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 08:00 AM

Re: Treble Bleed (331 Capacitor)

When the pot is on 10, the capacitor isn't doing anything. (this is a highly argued topic on forums; if you measured it with a meter, you would SEE the cap IS likely adding a HAIR of capacitance, but most of the population agrees it's not something you can HEAR.) So- short answer- no, when the pot is on 10, the capacitor isn't doing anything you can hear. If the JEM lacks bass to your ear, that's the pickups/guitar itself.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

If it doesn't make difference in the sound, why Steve Vai uses a push/pull to turn the capacitor on/off?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
When the pot is on 10, the capacitor isn't doing anything. (this is a highly argued topic on forums; if you measured it with a meter, you would SEE the cap IS likely adding a HAIR of capacitance, but most of the population agrees it's not something you can HEAR.) So- short answer- no, when the pot is on 10, the capacitor isn't doing anything you can hear. If the JEM lacks bass to your ear, that's the pickups/guitar itself.
If it doesn't make difference in the sound, why Steve Vai uses a push/pull to turn the capacitor on/off?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael_Luiz View Post
Because sometimes, I would imagine, he wants to be able to turn down WITHOUT using the effect the capacitor has... meaning, it's not just an on/off... when he's clean, he wants to turn down WITH the capacitors' effect, when he's distorted he wants to turn down WITHOUT the capacitors effect. So, push-pull.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 12:50 PM
Vendor

I think he borrowed it from the JS's that he has. He's always had active high pass filter at all times, now it's an option using the PP pot. That's the way Joe has always used it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 04:55 PM

Evo has this system too, he had the guy from Mad Hatter install it a few years back. The PIA system probably isn't solderless like on EVO though.

Last edited by BigBazz; 03-29-2020 at 05:07 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
Evo has this system too, he had the guy from Mad Hatter install it a few years back. The PIA system probably isn't solderless like on EVO though.

Actually, Evo already had a regular push/pull vol pot with highpass filter on/off before Madhatter installed the solderless system, which in my opinion and experience with that system not worth the money.. snakeoil..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode