Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  eviltwin 
#1 ·
I dont get it, why does the trem angle have to be parallel to the body. Is there a specific technical reason for this? Keep in tune is that it? Or is it customizable and diffrent for everyone. Like higher up, so you can pull back more? Doesnt the trem angle change everytime you put new strings on?

#2 ·
The trem itself, and the hole it sits in, have been designed for optimal performance when the trem is parallel to the body. Having said that, some players do prefer to set the trem at a slight angle for a different feel or to get the type of performance they want. Like most things it comes down to personal preference.
If the trem angle changes when you change strings, something isn't right!

#14 ·
Um, I don't think that the amount of winding would influence the tension. If the strings are tuned to pitch, there should be about the same amount universally. If you happen to wind it more, that just means it has more wraps around the tuning post, but when tuned to pitch, the tension should be the same I believe.

#15 ·
i adjusted the springs... u kno what i figured id look at the old strings since i didnt put them on the tech did... i dont think theyre 9's! the low e string def. looks bigger.. so um that could be there reason huh lol... i have it set up fairly well now the bridge is neutral to the body in standard tuning...

#18 ·
For certain: Trem Springs, neck (trussrod) and intonation.

The thicker strings require more stress, combined with the thickness they will cause more neck bow and this needs to be countered with the trussrod. More force also required more balancing force the trem springs. If the springs are already at the limit, you may need an extra spring, but usually with 10s you can still use 3 springs.

If you want to adjust action as well, you need to adjust the trem posts and/or nut shims. Finally you may need to tweak your Pickup height.

Thicker strings cause a stronger signal at the same picking amplitude, but require more force from your pick. At the same picking strength, you will have a smaller string vibration amplitude, which may actually allow a lower action.

On a floating trem changing to a different string gauge is a lot of work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.