Trem Arm goes in way too hard in new Edge - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By chris101

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Trem Arm goes in way too hard in new Edge

I was hoping someone might have a bit of insight to my issue. I have a brand new Genesis RG550 (original Edge trem) and when I try to insert the trem arm, it will not go in without a LOT of force. It feels like the bushing are too wide for it. If I take off the lower bushing, it goes in slightly easier but still takes quite a bit of force. Once in, I never hear it "click" into place either. With one bushing the arm is movable, but very stiff. With 2 bushings in it takes force to move the arm. Now, this is my first original Edge so this could be normal? Maybe the bushing have to break in? It doesn't seem to me like I would have to put this much force trying to get the arm in. If I take both bushings out, I can hear it click into place, but the arm is extremely sloppy and I would never use it like that. Do I have a bad trem?

Side note - The fret board feels great, but it seems the fret edges are a bit sharp. they are not protruding from the side of the neck (like from shrinkage) but do feel a bit sharp if i run my hand along the edges. I compared it to my MIM Fender Strat and it felt similar. I guess maybe I expected more from a Japanese made RG.

Last edited by Pixel_Jockey; 01-18-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:03 PM

Re: Trem Arm goes in way too hard in new Edge

Have you got any older bars or bushings on another guitar or can you borrow one?

When they are brand new I recall they do sometimes seem like a very tight fit but, I'd keep both bushings on if you want the bar to stay in place.

With some use usually you end up with the opposite problem eventually as the bushings age.

I like the bar to always stay in place so have ended up heating the bushings over the gas hob to make them a tight fit again - something I read about here I believe.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

I don't have another bar to try unfortunately. I understand it could have a tight fit being new, but I had to use a ton of force to get it to go in. Once in, it certainly stayed in place because it was so tight. It was in there so tight I almost couldn't pop it back out. I'm just wondering if I got a bad trem. There is no way it should go in that hard. Also I didn't see any adjustment for the arm socket.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:23 PM

If you remove both bushings and it then goes in and out OK I'd actually say it is normal.

I can't say I've heard of a defective original Edge bridge before so most likely just the bushings but if anyone would know more it would be Rich.

Perhaps try to opposite and put the bushings in the fridge?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Without bushings it does go in, but it is super sloppy/unusable.

Thanks for the replies Matt. It could be totally normal, like I said this is my first Edge. I've only ever had an edge zero besides this one.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:00 PM
Vendor

IMO they increased the diameter of the bushings a hair to address complaints they wear out too fast, so when they're new they are virtually impossible to get in and fully seated. I have plenty of trouble myself, which is why I only use my bar.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for the input Rich. Sounds like I don't have anything to worry about. It just freaked me out how hard I had to push. I felt like I was going to damage something.

Rich, have you noticed any sharp fret ends on the Genesis line? I have a 1570 with no sharp edges at all. This 550 has some moderate-mild fret sharpness. Is this normal? Mind you, they don't protrude from the side of the board, but just feel a little rough. I've never experienced that on a Japanese RG.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:09 PM
Vendor

I've been telling everybody for years there is no fret end finishing on any maple board prestige anymore.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Okay, got it. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:45 PM

I've found the bushings to be super tight on every new Edge trem Ibanez I'd bought these past couple of years, to the point where it feels like I'm going to push the trem off the trem posts! So I remove the bushings, then carefully chamfer one edge of each bushing with a razor blade to around 45 degrees, don't take much off at all, then refit the bushings with the new chamfered edge pointing down, the trem arm is way easier to insert but the bushings are still tight enough to prevent the arm from being too sloppy.
oliver_p likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:56 AM

Same over here. Being used to insert the arm into an edge totally trouble free I was afraid to push the blades of the posts or damage the lower blade with my new RGs edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
So I remove the bushings, then carefully chamfer one edge of each bushing with a razor blade to around 45 degrees,
Will do exactly that, thanks for pioneering
I'm slightly confused that Ibanez delivered truckloads of guitars like that

Tags
edge trem arm rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode