TREM HELP!!!!!! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Question TREM HELP!!!!!!

I've got an original Floyd Rose fitted to my pre 90's RG550. The Trem arm has the set up where the arm slides in and the outer collar screws down. If I want to play keeping the trem in posotion with my little finger whilst picking the required notes the trem has to be loose which means when you rattle the trem gently for the vibrato effect it's too loose in the bush it's inserted in and it rattle before making contact. If the collar is tightened the arm will not fall to the vertical position once released as the collar clamps the trem into place too harshly. I know the Ibanez Trems have the slot in arm with the two plastic bushes which is exactly the response i want, but as i'm permanently skint is there any slight mods you could make to the Floyd to try and get a little closer to that set up?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Wink Re: TREM HELP!!!!!!

Since the Ibanez Edge is mainly THE floyd copy and many parts are interchangeable you could try to fit an Edge arm holder to it. It works the other way too(Schaller/Floyd Trem arm mod), and even if it doesn't fit, it is just a little loss. If that doesn't work, the only way to get that feel is to install an Edge/Lo Pro/Pro into your guitar. Hope that's helpful.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 09:12 AM

Re: TREM HELP!!!!!!

I have wondered this myself, and am pretty sure that putting some thin delrin/ptfe/uhmwPE washers under the screw clamp would allow for a better feel. I doubt if anything could be purchased stock that would work, though, so you'd need a lathe or a nicely gaged set of hole punches (or some other clever method for making thin, relatively high tolerance plastic parts)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: TREM HELP!!!!!!

Perfect, I didn't think about it that way (I was comparing it to the Ibanez trem arm by altering the bar and getting some of the C shape clips to slightly thicken the bar into the slot) hi strength thin plastic washers should allow the pin through the trem bar to 'dig' slightly into the washers allowing free movement e.g. washer to steel bush rather than the pin rubbing onto the bush which is very abrasive as well as noisy, as the pick ups sometimes pick up the grinding noise which is terrible at 50 watts!
Thanks very much for the help it's very much appreciated.

Tags
floyd rose - edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode