trem insert removal - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

trem insert removal

Anyone have any ideas for removing the trem inserts from a guitar body without screwing up the finish? Is there a tool you can buy to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 06:26 PM

Re: trem insert removal

Some people will tell you to use the stud and a claw hammer. That is not the way to do it if you want to avoid damage.

You need to pull it straight up. You need a long bolt or threaded rod that threads into the anchor, a nut that fits on that thread, and something like a wooden stick with a clearance hole for the bolt. Put the wooden stick down to span across the trem route with the hole above the anchor. Pad under the stick to protect the body finish. Put the nut on the bolt, insert it through the stick, and thread it into the anchor. Then turn the nut with a wrench, and it will pull the anchor up.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

I'll give this a try. Thanks!!!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Vendor

You forgot to tell him he'll have to cut all the paint up to 1mm past the insert the entire perimeter or it'll all rip up.

There's nothing wrong with a claw hammer, or a cats paw [which I use], it's not rocket science to pull something straight up using either, but yes, you do want to pull them straight up.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 08:21 PM

Just use a bolt the same size as the posts, some oversized washers, that the insert will slip through, and a top washer, with a smaller hole, so the bolt has something to push against. I have this setup, use it all the time, and NEVER have any problems or dings.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

got them out without screwing up the finish. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You forgot to tell him he'll have to cut all the paint up to 1mm past the insert the entire perimeter or it'll all rip up.

There's nothing wrong with a claw hammer, or a cats paw [which I use], it's not rocket science to pull something straight up using either, but yes, you do want to pull them straight up.
You are right ... cutting the paint is important.

Yes, I agree it is possible to do it the "claw-hammer" method if you are careful, but many people aren't. If you just yank it out like a nail, you pull it sideways too and oval out the anchor hole. I don't like to recommend that method. But like anything else, there are lots of ways to do anything ... all of the mentioned methods work.

lcsdds -- glad you got them out OK.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm glad I got them out without screwing up the finish too!! I just had these guitars finished by patrick and realized after putting them together that the edge inserts won't work with the ZR trem. They need to be the open base inserts to work. Thanks again guys for all your suggestions.

Tags
guitar body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode