Trem tool removal - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Trem tool removal

I've got a guitar that someone added a allen wrench tool to the back of the headstock. It's one of the adhesive ones, not the screw in type. The issue is that it's partially covering the serial number. It's stuck on there REALLY WELL and i'm afraid if i try to remove it i'm going to take the serial number off. I'm debating whether to just leave it or try to remove it.
Do you think i'll be able to get it off and preserve the SN? what would be the best way to remove this with minimal damage?

I don't have pictures of the guitar at the moment, but can take one if that would be helpful. the tool that's on there is exactly like this one...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:47 PM

Re: Trem tool removal

That sucks... What kind of adhesive is it? Like a glue or like a double-sided foam tape? Can you tell?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
That sucks... What kind of adhesive is it? Like a glue or like a double-sided foam tape? Can you tell?
I can't really tell, but i suspect it's double sided tape of some sort. They make this stuff super adhesive...it seems to be stuck on there really well.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 08:07 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
I can't really tell, but i suspect it's double sided tape of some sort. They make this stuff super adhesive...it seems to be stuck on there really well.
What kind of guitar is it Paul?

Actually, the better question is: Is the serial on a sticker or is it a decal that has clearcoat over it?

Sticker type:

decal type:

Last edited by RGTFanatic; 07-15-2015 at 08:16 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 08:12 PM

If its the clear gooey stuff it would be hell to get off and may take finish or numbers with it. If its the thin foam type double sided adhesive, you can use a thin wire to cut down the middle of it. I've obviously never done this on a guitar, but to remove something stuck on a wall with the double sided foam... You can loop a thin wire (like a high E string) over the top and just pull down and it cuts right through the adhesive. Then to remove the layer thats left on, you might be able to use a mineral oil based adhesive remover like Whisk or some other colorless non-harsh stuff. Rubbing gently and letting it soak in, etc... the oil just gets under the adhesive and lets it come off. They even have a gentle adhesive remover for tape residue on the skin in medical applications:

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/04170a.html#reviews

I don't want to say that you SHOULD try any of this... Just throwing some gentle removal ideas out there in case it helps! I'd definitely stay away from the acetones and alcohols during the process. Might be worth experimenting with some methods on similarly finished wood.

Good luck man!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 06:13 AM

Warm it up with a hair dryer see if that helps loosen it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
What kind of guitar is it Paul?

Actually, the better question is: Is the serial on a sticker or is it a decal that has clearcoat over it?
It's the decal type. Actually i didn't look close enough and never noticed this type of SN may have clear coat over it. That may work to my advantage

Quote:
Warm it up with a hair dryer see if that helps loosen it.
Quote:
If its the clear gooey stuff it would be hell to get off and may take finish or numbers with it. If its the thin foam type double sided adhesive, you can use a thin wire to cut down the middle of it. I've obviously never done this on a guitar, but to remove something stuck on a wall with the double sided foam... You can loop a thin wire (like a high E string) over the top and just pull down and it cuts right through the adhesive. Then to remove the layer thats left on, you might be able to use a mineral oil based adhesive remover like Whisk or some other colorless non-harsh stuff. Rubbing gently and letting it soak in, etc... the oil just gets under the adhesive and lets it come off. They even have a gentle adhesive remover for tape residue on the skin in medical applications:

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/04170a.html#reviews

I don't want to say that you SHOULD try any of this... Just throwing some gentle removal ideas out there in case it helps! I'd definitely stay away from the acetones and alcohols during the process. Might be worth experimenting with some methods on similarly finished wood.

Good luck man!
Thanks guys, this helps.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 07:05 AM
Banned

Man, have you considered the possibility that this little thing with all the alen wrenches in place might actually heal some sustain issues of your guitar? People pay good money to install fat fingers on their headstocks.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Man, have you considered the possibility that this little thing with all the alen wrenches in place might actually heal some sustain issues of your guitar? People pay good money to install fat fingers on their headstocks.
Wow man, are you serious?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
Wow man, are you serious?
I've read about people adding mass to the headstock to increase sustain, etc... Not sure if there is any truth to it or not.

Looking at the bright side though... at least you can tell the guitar was MIJ and what year without doing anything at all. Would be worse if the first part of the sn# was the part covered up...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Well, this turned out to be simple. I wasn't aware there was clear coat over the SN. That plus a little heat and it's off and no damage to the SN

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 07:13 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
Well, this turned out to be simple. I wasn't aware there was clear coat over the SN. That plus a little heat and it's off and no damage to the SN

Nice man..... I figured you wouldn't have any problem once I saw what kind of serial you have.

I'm diggin the rev head too. What's it attached to?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Nice man..... I figured you wouldn't have any problem once I saw what kind of serial you have.

I'm diggin the rev head too. What's it attached to?

Thanks man...and thanks for your help. it's attached to one of my 540p's
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 09:51 PM

Certainly not one I sold you. I'd never do such a thing!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I've read about people adding mass to the headstock to increase sustain, etc... Not sure if there is any truth to it or not.
Yeah but a couple of allen keys glued to headstock? i mean c'mon man.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode