Trem tuning issue? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Trem tuning issue?

Hi,

I've recently bought a 1994 MIK RG470 that has the infamous LO TRS II trem on it.

I've read virtually nothing but bad things about the LO TRS II so I was wondering what kind of tuning stability to expect from it?

Being totally new to locking trem guitars I have no idea how a poor licensed Floyd Rose would compare to an OFR or an Edge pro when it comes to actual tuning stability.

Basically, after getting the guitar fined tuned to be in perfect pitch using a digital tuner (on Amplitube Metal) then applying 20 or so dive bombs I find the strings to be 5-8 cents flat on the tuner.

So my questions are:

a) Would an OFR on an Edge pro exhibit similar behavior (I read somewhere once that no locking trem will always stay in perfect pitch)?

b) Would a 5-8 cents drop be typical for a cheap licensed Floyd Rose such as a Lo TRS II?

c) Should I be concerned that the 5-8 cents drop could be caused by worn knife edges or any other mechanical issue/fault?

d) Should I even be worrying about a 5-8 cents drop?!?!

Sorry if these seem stupid n00bie questions!

Thanks in advance for your help!

MT01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 06:14 PM

Re: Trem tuning issue?

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 06:35 PM

Make sure you are stretching your strings good, as this can be the cause of a drop in tuning when using the whammy.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Thank you for your valuable input, however how to use the search function is not the problem I currently face.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT01 View Post
Thank you for your valuable input, however how to use the search function is not the problem I currently face.
Your welcome but your asking a question that has been asked and answered many times. You would have the answers you seek if you were to look for them. You gotta understand I am an ******* by nature and it is not personal
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Your welcome but your asking a question that has been asked and answered many times. You would have the answers you seek if you were to look for them. You gotta understand I am an ******* by nature and it is not personal
No problem, wasn't taking it personally.

Which search terms do you think would pull up the answers I'm looking for?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:08 PM

trem stability dug up alot floyd rose and trem too. Also read the tech section at ibanez rules site.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
trem stability dug up alot floyd rose and trem too. Also read the tech section at ibanez rules site.
As I'd imagined, the search brought up hundreds of results, though none had the answer to my particular questions.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
So my questions are:

a) Would an OFR on an Edge pro exhibit similar behavior (I read somewhere once that no locking trem will always stay in perfect pitch)?

b) Would a 5-8 cents drop be typical for a cheap licensed Floyd Rose such as a Lo TRS II?

c) Should I be concerned that the 5-8 cents drop could be caused by worn knife edges or any other mechanical issue/fault?

d) Should I even be worrying about a 5-8 cents drop?!?!
A. If properly set up no they would not. ALOT of factors can create the problem your having. Worn knife edges, worn springs, old or improperly stretched strings, trem angle, and loose nut bolts. If a trem is set up right with properly streched strings in good shape you should not notice any real change. Look what Vai does during a song and he stays in tune.

B. Cheap is the key word. They use cheap metals that wear alot quicker than good metals.

C. Don't worry man it is just a guitar. Really read the tech section at www.ibanezrules.com. Set up your guitar to his specs. With the exception of filing knife edges and/or fret work I do all my own work.

D. I dunno bout this one. How obesssive compulsive are you?

Do you really need to be a wammy freak? Hope that helps. BTW the chapstick thing really does work. Lube it man.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
As I'd imagined, the search brought up hundreds of results, though none had the answer to my particular questions.
I found em pretty easily but yes the Lo TRS trems are cheap metals and in my experience don't stay in tune very well. The OFR, Edge, Edge Pro and zero trems are not like the LO TRS with tuning problems and they feel better to use.

For a 5-8 cents drop I'd be smashing my guitar since I have perfect pitch lol so I'd worry about the drop. Especially if it keeps dropping the more you use the trem

Tags
lo trs 2 , lo trs ii , lotrs ii , rg470 , trem guitar , trem stability , trs trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode