Tremelo cleaning? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Tremelo cleaning?

Hi Everyone,

My first post here, so be nice . I'm getting back into guitar after a long break from it, and I'm in the process of giving my guitar a GOOD clean (jem7rb).

I have taken all the strings off (I know ... I know ) and cleaned the frets and fretboard with 0000 steel wool. I did all this with the neck still on the guitar (masked pickup poles etc), but apart from that just followed Rich's guide, so thank you, Rich

I need to take the tremelo off now, pull it apart and clean it, but all the guides I've seen have been with the strings on ... and I am a little bit hesitant about doing this.

I've had a look at this guide: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/bridgeclean.htm

and just wanted to confirm that WD40 is ok on a black trem... or what else do people use? should I pull the trem totally apart? (It is very dirty and a bit rusty)

Didn't mean to turn my first post into a life story, but any help you can give me is appreciated.

Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:15 AM

I don't have a problem with the tutorial, but if you're going to disassemble it, you can really just wipe it down with a cloth. Sometimes if the bolts are real rusty and I want to clean and restore them, I'll use some form of cleaner (brasso, steel wool, soft wire brush, wire wheel in the dremel) then coat them with a tiny moistening of linseed oil and let dry. Maybe WD40 is a good idea for the block area of each saddle, but you have to make sure you get it really clean after you use the WD40 because any excess will suck its way into the wound strings and kill the string early.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:31 AM
Vendor

It's more based toward OFR's with a steel plate base. Edge/Lo Pro and Edge Pro saddles and baseplates are made from spelter, they couldn't rust if you left them in the tropics for 100 years. You can clean them with dishwash soap and water. Only the screws, blocks, and knives rust.

I would never try to remove the trem without the strings on, and surely never try and install one without. If it's an old beater with plenty of chips and you don't mind possibly putting a few more in around the trem cavity then it really doesn't matter how you pull it, if you do care take the safe aproach and leave the strings on
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Frank and Rich,

Thanks very much for the replies. So I guess the concensus is to
1) put the new strings on now
2) take the trem out of the guitar with strings attached
3) unhook the strings from the tremelo
3) clean the tremelo and cavity etc
4) put the strings back in to the trem and put the tremelo back on the guitar.

Does this sound like an ok way to go about it? The guitar has small chips in the clear coat etc (which I am thinking of repairing myself also, with superglue) ... but I've had it for 9 years and don't regard it as an "old beater"

... and to add fuel to fire, I am changing gauge from 10's to 9's and I don't remember whether I used to use 10..46's or 10..52's ... but I'll work it out.

Thanks guys
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 02:36 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny_jem7rb
Frank and Rich,

Thanks very much for the replies. So I guess the concensus is to
1) put the new strings on now
2) take the trem out of the guitar with strings attached
3) unhook the strings from the tremelo
3) clean the tremelo and cavity etc
4) put the strings back in to the trem and put the tremelo back on the guitar.
That's the way I'd do it
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I would never try to remove the trem without the strings on, and surely never try and install one without.
i really dont understand that. what's wrong pulling/installing the trem without the strings on?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Vendor

There's no way to hold or steady the trem while pulling the springs. The strings provide tension keeping it perfectly stable and in it's place on the studs.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:49 AM

i lay the guitar face down while pulling/installing the springs, so i dont have problems keeping the trem in place.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Vendor

Which doesn't insure it stays on the studs or in it's place. Maybe you have no problem doing it that way, I do, and on expensive instruments I take no chances
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:14 PM

i work on expensive guitars too, not only cheapos.
anyway, it depends on what you lay the guitar on. i use a soft pad that "pushes" the trem in its place while the guitar sits up/down.

just different methods
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Vendor

Then you're tsaking chances. What exactly is holding it on the studs? What's keeping the spring plate underneath from digging into lions claws?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 03:43 PM

i stuff some clothes in there, right under the tail into the cavity. not much of those, cause otherwise the trem would bump off of the studs. just enough to keep the spring plates and the string-lock bolts (or whatever they're called) from dinging the cavity, if it's a good old lovely Edge.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Vendor

And then it can still slip off the studs, then you've got the springs on turn it over and have to turn it back over to pull 2 springs and get it back on the studs. It's not that it's impossible, and evidently it works well for you, it just doesn't work well for me and strings on is much safer and easier [for me]
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
And then it can still slip off the studs, then you've got the springs on turn it over and have to turn it back over to pull 2 springs and get it back on the studs...
never happened in hundreds setups, and i cant get how it could ever happen... but as you said, it works for me, not for you.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 06:01 AM
Vendor

Hundreds of setups and you've never had a trem slip out of it's stud groove while installing it upside down? What, do you glue them on?!

Tags
clear coat , steel wool , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode