Tremolo claw screws - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Tremolo claw screws

First of all let me say hello as this is my first post and new to the site. My question is about the claw screws. One of my screws is getting worn and I'm afraid itll strip soon. I need some replacements and not sure if they are all the same or what size is necessary. Guitar is a 03 jem7v with edge pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:10 PM

When you say claw screws I'm assuming you mean the spring claw? If so, is it the wood the screw goes into that is getting stripped out?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

It's not the wood it's the head of the screw that's getting worn and will soon need replacement.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:16 AM

We'll that's easy. Take it out, go to the hardware store, & find one to match. There's nothing special about them, they're just wood screws.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Re: Tremolo claw screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggleyoda View Post
We'll that's easy. Take it out, go to the hardware store, & find one to match. There's nothing special about them, they're just wood screws.

they are wood screws but are under a fair amount of tension. you'll want to get stainless steel screws if possible. try to stay away from zinc as it is softer and even though it probably wont snap under tension, the heads are easier to strip putting you right back where you started.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:35 PM

My more expensive solution to claw screws is the Schaller sure claw. I put it in my 520 & Roadstar 2. Works much better, & it has a far better adjustment range.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

They sell claw screws on stewmac that look identical. I just wondered if they were special. My problem is this is my only playable guitar right now and I didn't want to take the screws out until I had replacements. Mainly because this screw will only take one more go of the screwdriver and itll be toast. I wasn't sure if Strat screws were same as Ibanez screws.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:49 PM

They're all the same. I gotta wonder though how it got stripped. Seems like you may be be doing a bit too much adjusting on them. That's the thing about locking trems, you really need to pick a tuning & stick with it. If you wanna change tunings get a fixed bridge guitar, it'll be a lot less heartache. Also make sure you have the right size screwdriver.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Actually I've just recently started tending to my own guitars. So I actually haven't set it up much personally since I've had it. Possibly it being at an angle and techs not using tight size Phillips? Anyway I think it's a 4mm shaft for the screw. According to the micrometer anyway. So I'll order some and change it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode