Tremolo issue - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
FL6

Tremolo issue

Have you guys seen this before? I have a 350DXL. I had my neck off to do a fret dress and put it back on and the 4th and 5th strings are noticeably lower than all the others. It's not the neck because the difference in height happens right at the bridge. The action at the nut is perfect. All the strings' action are correct till after the 12th fret then it starts to drift. What ends up happening is when all the strings are at the correct action height the 4th and 5th strings are resting on the last fret but then drift up afterwards but again the height differential happens right out of the gate at the bridge.

I inspected the bridge closely but can't see anything abnormal. Short of taking it apart and reassembling it I'm not sure what else to do.

These pics aren't the greatest and doesn't quite capture what I'm seeing but it's quite dramatic and I hope it helps.

http://i.imgur.com/ShSxWzV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Q2ld9mU.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 03:36 AM

Re: Tremolo issue

Can't tell much from the pics, other than you are left handed. If bridge was disassembled, make sure saddles are in correct position. Some Floyd Rose type bridges have 3 different saddle heights, which creates the radius. Sometimes people shim the saddles to change radius to match neck .(shims fell out?) A kinked string could also be the cause of this. Hope this helps. If you post more pics, I will take a look.

Last edited by Naked Ape; 07-24-2015 at 03:55 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
FL6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Ape View Post
Can't tell much from the pics, other than you are left handed. If bridge was disassembled, make sure saddles are in correct position. Some Floyd Rose type bridges have 3 different saddle heights, which creates the radius. Sometimes people shim the saddles to change radius to match neck .(shims fell out?) A kinked string could also be the cause of this. Hope this helps. If you post more pics, I will take a look.
I'm thinking it's a shim too. If it fell out I wasn't aware it was even there. What angle of pics would you like to see?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL6 View Post
I'm thinking it's a shim too. If it fell out I wasn't aware it was even there. What angle of pics would you like to see?

parallel to the strings.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:37 AM

Reviews: 2

What year is the guitar? RG350's have come with 5 different bridge/trem units over the years. Each of the bridges are different in build and quality.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:40 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Ape View Post
You can see in the first pic that the baseplate is stepped. This means that each saddle should be the same height.

After a better look, I'm thinking this is an EZII bridge, no?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
You can see in the first pic that the baseplate is stepped. This means that each saddle should be the same height.

Hey, which points to the "washer slipped under the saddle" theory
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
FL6

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Hey, which points to the "washer slipped under the saddle" theory
What washer?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
FL6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

Yes, EZII
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
FL6

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
parallel to the strings.
Here's 3 more.

http://i.imgur.com/NCbghVo.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/YbWvozU.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/7tYe6vE.jpg
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
FL6

I figured it out, sorta. The base plate that the saddles sit on has 3 height settings, roughly 4mm-E, 4.3mm-A, 4.6mm-D, 4.6mm-G, 4.3mm-B, 4mm-e. The saddles come in 2 heights, 11mm and 11.3mm.

Mine were all mixed up so I think I got the saddles mixed up years ago when I was cleaning it.

I put it back together using the taller saddles for the E, A, D strings, and the shorter saddles for the high strings. Not sure if that's exactly how it should go but it made sense to me.

Plays great now.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 03:50 PM

You actually want the taller saddles for the middle strings, to try to match the radius of the board (though on a six string I'd expect an even number, either 2 or 4). But, as long as it's working. :yesway:
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
FL6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
You actually want the taller saddles for the middle strings, to try to match the radius of the board (though on a six string I'd expect an even number, either 2 or 4). But, as long as it's working. :yesway:
I wondered about that but the plate under the saddles is already raised for the middle strings. I might try it that way anyway.

Here's a pic.
http://i.imgur.com/H0MpRjd.jpg

Tags
350dxl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode