Tremolo knife edge longevity? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Tremolo knife edge longevity?

So I've just got, not only my first Ibanez, but my first guitar with a tremolo. I'm worried about the longevity of the knife edge and/or the posts. Being a bit of a perfectionist (at least in some areas...), the thought of the construction being worked here makes me slightly uneasy. The guitar has the Edge Zero tremolo.

Thus I wonder if there's anything I can do to make sure the knife/post contact points have the very best working conditions. E.g. does anybody lubricate them, is it a good idea to avoid the more extreme bending angles, etc.?

I might well be worrying over nothing, but hey, I just want my pretty new axe to stay pretty and new forever if I can help it

DJ
--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Re: Tremolo knife edge longevity?

i put some Big Bends Nut Lube on mine about once or twice a year. No reason to over lubricate, but a little will decrease the friction between stud and knife, which will decrease the wear. Some people recommend chapstick. I do not because it tends to clump up and collect dirt.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Vendor

If it's clumping you're not putting it on right.

Anything that isn't a dry powder / graphite will collect dirt, there's no way to avoid it.

Any grease with PTFE resin works fine, I prefer the Chapstick, but you can use a thin machine oil like the factory does if you want.
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Lubrication it is then

Lets' see what I've got at hand... some Traxxas lithium grease, Finish Line (Dry) Teflon Plus spray, Turtle Wax Silicone spray and plain old WD-40. Which one should I choose? I don't mind having to clean the edges and posts and reapply lube a couple of times a year.

DJ
--
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 PM

Chap-stick, it doesn't run and it works amazingly well. It works even if you get it wet from sweat, beer, or whatever. Anyone whos gigged many nights in a bar band has surely gotten beer on them at one time or another :P.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

After a bit of research I've decided to use lithium grease. It has many properties that should make it pretty much the ideal lubricant for the tremolo edge/post contact points.

DJ
--
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM

being its yr first guitar with a trem then the most important advice i think you can have as regarding the knife edges and posts is to NEVER adjust the action under normal string tension, this will leave slit marks on the posts and/or ruin the smooth knife edges which ultimatley will leave you with tuning problems when functioning the trem due to cut marks. Might be obvious but its unbelievable how many people who do this and ruin trems, and then they complain that when they depress the trem and resits they complain the guitar goes out of tune,,,,,,,just thought its worth a mention.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Vendor

That might be good advice for MIK or MII but you can ignore it for MIJ. And even though the EZ is actually Chinese built, the studs and knives have a higher Rockwell grade than the Edge Pro did. Feel free to adjust as the manual tell you to, at full pitch.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That might be good advice for MIK or MII but you can ignore it for MIJ. And even though the EZ is actually Chinese built, the studs and knives have a higher Rockwell grade than the Edge Pro did. Feel free to adjust as the manual tell you to, at full pitch.

sorry, yu cant justify it by saying feel free as the manual says so.yes its true that higher grade trems have superior quality in materials BUT from personal experiance there is neary 100lb of pressure there and have wittnessed even OFR's get ruined by doing this over a period of time.

here is the proper way, and pay particular attention to section 2!!!

http://knol.google.com/k/maintaining...n-your-guitar#
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Vendor

Sorry, yes I can justify it. I have more personal experience than anybody else you or I know with the Ibanez trems, and I could really care less about what knol? says on the subject
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Sorry, yes I can justify it. I have more personal experience than anybody else you or I know with the Ibanez trems, and I could really care less about what knol? says on the subject
based on your answer i beg to differ, but if you can kindly tell me that turning a post around under full tension doesnt wear the post or especially the knife edge then ill gladly take yr advise.

ALSO IT DOES SAY on the user manual to losen all strings before adjusting trem height lol

Last edited by moestavern; 02-01-2010 at 11:35 PM.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Vendor

If you care to waste litteraly WEEKS of time making a 10 second adjustment into a minimum 2 minutes, multiplied over the life of the instrument, against possibly having to spend $24 to replace the studs 20 years form now, then you be my guest and be as careful and as anal as you wish, which is plain idiotic IMO, but, to each his own.

Turning a stud creates no more wear on the knife than beating the arm up and down, especially on a lubed stud.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
If you care to waste litteraly WEEKS of time making a 10 second adjustment into a minimum 2 minutes, multiplied over the life of the instrument, against possibly having to spend $24 to replace the studs 20 years form now, then you be my guest and be as careful and as anal as you wish, which is plain idiotic IMO, but, to each his own.

Turning a stud creates no more wear on the knife than beating the arm up and down, especially on a lubed stud.

yes it does lmao, yr really clueless....a knife edge is bevelled top and bottom making up and down movements smooth,,,,,side to side not so...please stop giving bad advise!!!!! i can hear yr guitar bridges grating with what u do from here :-p

Last edited by moestavern; 02-01-2010 at 11:44 PM.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Vendor

LOL the knife edge it actually very square and sharp on the top and bottom edges, it is not rounded at all, until I round them. Please get a clue.

If you want to waste your time for no reason be my guest. I could care less what you do. Just don't tell people not to do it the way Ibanez [and I] recomend you do it
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
LOL the knife edge it actually very square and sharp on the top and bottom edges, it is not rounded at all, until I round them. Please get a clue.

If you want to waste your time for no reason be my guest. I could care less what you do. Just don't tell people not to do it the way Ibanez [and I] recomend you do it

geeeeeeze.....ok, heres the manual for the OP on edge trems... and it says what im saying(take the tension out before adjusting). read it for yourself..

http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/parts/edge_manual.pdf

and as for getting a clue, you have totaly missed the point on the word "BEVEL".. i was not even on about the contact point!!! lol its the bevel thats above it,so when you depress the trem it sits into the fold(hence smooth!!!)....
but i guessed youd miss the point from previous dribble
Closed Thread

Tags
tremolo longevity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode