Tremolo saddle making noises - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Tremolo saddle making noises

I hope this thread is in the right section...

Hello, i bought a new guitar just a while ago and i am now completely and utterly convinced i am a total idiot. As always, i end up with a headache after a major "endeavour" i go after.

But this is one thing i can NOT give up on, basically i got myself a used ibanez RG370DX, without having ANY idea of what the tremolo system in itself is all about, just because of the looks i took it. This guitar is about 7 years old and quite frankly i would like to shoot myself for jumping into another goddamn fail deal.

The guitar was all set up although very BADLY and was pretty much out of tune, half the screws didn't stay in and etc,etc... most of it i was able to fix.

Now after breaking a string after trying to tune the guitar i bought new ones and now the saddles are pissing me off. I'm really sorry i hope swearing is allowed here i am just frustrated as hell, all i wanted to do is get a good damn first electric guitar and PLAY it, now it's been 5 days of no playing and pure mind****.

The worst part is the price i payed, which i will not mention for the absolute humiliation it would bring.

This thing has an EDGE III tremolo i believe ( quite sure ) and the saddles are not staying tight after i have them screwed down with the strings in and under tension.

When i pluck the string on pretty much any of the saddles the back end of the saddle moves and makes an annoying "click" sound OR starts resonating when i pluck harder under higher tension.

It wasn't like this at first, but the old owner had put the saddles in a mindblowing order. I know they are supposed to create an arc, the saddles have numbers on them to mark their height. 2 saddles have number 9 on them, the other 2 have either 24 or 25 i cant remember and the last 2 have 34 or 35 again bad memory.

Now judging by the height and markings the saddles should have been in the order of 9-24-35-35-24-9 to create an arc, but he had them like this: 9-9-24-24-35-35 and also a bunch of shims stuck under the middle saddles.

And as if that wasn't all the pain, one of the screws that locks the saddles in has lost it's contact with the allen key and now the key just keeps turning around in it if i tighten it too hard ( haven't tightened it beyond sane limits ) and well i am so devastated.

The store i bought the strings from i believe does sell the screws so that could be replaced, but the main problem right now is the annoying clicking sound that the loose saddles make.

Can anyone please give me some advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 06:05 PM

Re: Tremolo saddle making noises

There's a hinged knuckle on the saddles where it can bend to allow the fine tuners to do their work. You might have wear there. I have it on one of the saddles on my Edge 3, you can rock it from side to side very slightly, although thankfully mine isn't vibrating yet.

You can pick up used Edge 3's pretty cheap on ebay, although you could use this as an excuse to upgrade the bridge to either one of the higher end Edge bridges, or a proper Floyd/Gotoh/Schaller.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Hmm yes, the saddles rock from side to side pretty heavily as a matter of fact, i guess after 7 years of divebombing they've ran out of gas. But the amazing thing is the previous owner was able to remove that problem SOMEHOW, which means if he can do it... i can do it, heheh.

Of course another thought which passed my mind as you advised was upgrading the tremolo.

Do you have any clue what type of trem would fit into the RG370DX edge 3 crevice?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 PM

There's a good thread here on trems that will fit in:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/ed...olo-68062.html

I had a Gotoh one fitted for a while and it was a near drop-in, just had to sand back about 2mm in one corner with a dremel to get it into the route, which took about 10 secs to do.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Oh god, it seems i have found an approach that prevents the saddles from rocking when i'm trying to rock.

I just moved the saddles a little bit further back towards the fine tuning screws and it feels like a blessing, LOL one step closer to playing. I guess they aren't supposed to be all the way towards the screws. But intonation, intonation, how much of a difference does it make while playing?

All i know is that when you do the 12th fret harmonic and compare it to the open string it should sound the same. Should the frequency be the same or the sound be exactly the same?

But thanks for that thread, i have been through it and it resembles zombie apocalypse. I truly hope i will not have to buy a new tremolo any time soon, i just got this guitar and even though it seems like it has been through hiroshima i payed too much to just let it mutate into something worse.

Besides, i'm a beginner and the trem feature can be blocked, saves hassle and improves bending skills
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM

Reviews: 2

If you get up to 10 posts, can you upload pictures here? That way we'll be able to help you better.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xibalba View Post

12th fret harmonic and compare it to the open string it should sound the same. Should the frequency be the same or the sound be exactly the same?

The frequency! 12th fret method is the basic method but it's inaccurate. You can move the saddles back and forth for quite an amount and still get proper intonation when using the 12th fret method. It seems to be more accurate to use harmonics on the 24th fret but I've had the experience that many tuners are somehow not able to pick up the harmonics on the 24th fret, hence the tuner shows nothing!

But thanks for that thread, i have been through it and it resembles zombie apocalypse.

Actually it's not. I posted detailed information about exchanging my Edge III for an Edge LoPro with pictures here: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/ed...-68062-16.html
It can be easily done with minor effort.

Besides, i'm a beginner and the trem feature can be blocked, saves hassle and improves bending skills

I wouldn't with a floyd rose! I block vintage trems on Strats, they're pretty useless except for oscillating around the tone and I can do that with my fingers. A Floyd Rose can do incredibly more and it would be a shame not using it when you have one
Comments in the quote

Tags
saddle problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode