Which tremolo will fit my Jem-inspired build? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Which tremolo will fit my Jem-inspired build?

I have another thread in the Jem section, documenting my build (and heavy modification) of a Jem-style kit. The kit came with a Chinese OFR ripoff, which seems like it will fit perfectly, but I am looking ot upgrade it to something that does not say "Official Floyd Rosd Tremolo" on it. (yes, that is a D in Rosd).

I had an old OFR from a BC Rich, which had a broken tremolo insert (the part where the bar connects). The part is replaceable, and so I took the same part from the Floyd Rosd, and put it into the OFD, giving me a near perfect condition OFR. The only problem is, I do not know if this will fit properly. I have never setup a floyd rose style tremolo before so a couple questions.

1. It seems to be that more mass is better in tremolos? What effect does mass have on sound?
2. The knife edge portions of the trem are slightly different between the Floyd Rosd and the OFR. The notches (circular, compared to the somewhat squared ones on the Edge) are in different locations. The actual trem is the same size, but will they mount similar if they do not have the same width? or would it not matter because of the circular cutout? Will this effect sound? or tuning stabiliy?

I will post measurements and more detailed pictures tonight.
to see the build, you can go here.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/my...ld-125250.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 PM

Reviews: 37
Re: Which tremolo will fit my Jem-inspired build?

good luck with the chibanez.
next time but an aftrmarket body and a real ibanez neck and parts and you wil have a good project.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

I didnt buy it, got it as a gift.

Good luck with your colonoscopy.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 PM

it should switch out without any issues. There are ton of threads about swapping trems and how to set up floyds . Try a forum search for more info on either topic. Best of luck with your project.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I have searched the forum, but the issue is not one that would happen on a traditional jem, since it may (or may not) accept the Edge tremolo or similar. I think that this needs pictures and measurements for anyone to provide useful help. I will get some up soon. I have researched general info about trems on the net (non-ibanez and edge specific) but the information seems largely unreliable. Some think that the mass has no effect (which I dont believe, since the trem will vibrate with the string), some think more weight = more sustain, some think that it is more the crystal structure of the material that makes the difference. Some think titanium parts help sound if used in the correct parts, others think titanium is just snake oil for money.

Also in response to andrew. I am not counting out a neck or body change at some point. just not yet. As a college student, almost all of my money goes towards school, and guitar lessons. I might change parts when I can save money. Further, I wouldn't want to work on an expensive body and neck, when I have never worked with this level of finishing.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 PM

i think there is a lot of hype around more mass or a special tone block or using titainium.

If it had a floyd that is the same size as an OFR then it should swap out. As far a putting in an edge trem or something like it you will have to route out a larger trem cavity. I think the studs are the same spacing but the tone block and overall size is larger.

I have never personally picked up a guitar and said to myself "this guitar sucks because the tone block is cheap metal." You can tell a bad floyd from a better by how it reacts when setup. The LO-trs II is horrible, but an OFR that fits the same route is 10x better at least when it comes to actually using the floyd. Why is that true ?I dont know, better materials ?

I would say that more mass porbably isn't a bad thing when it comes to a trem, but wilkinson trems are awesome and they are by far smaller than most floyds.

So maybe what your saddles are made out of? Again i dont know.

What i do know is that your tone comes from you. We could play the same guitar through the same amp and sound totally different.

I guess the best advice i can offer is to just try the stuff for yourself, there really isn't a way to quantifiably say this is better than that because it is all subjective.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM

Reviews: 120

I wouldn't call it hype, the metals used make a huge difference in tone. For example, the blocks used on the Edge/Lo Pro/Edge Pro, etc are made out of a really crappy metal, and fullness of tone and sustain do suffer to an extent. An aftermarket block made out of decent metals do introduce their own unique sound and quite often better sustain.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 PM

Reviews: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaple View Post
I didnt buy it, got it as a gift.

Good luck with your colonoscopy.
pretty funny i love you now.
i just hate chibanez they give real projects a bad name.
they are a waste of wood.

a project with a real ibanez neck and parts to me is not counterfiet , it is a mod. kind of like a retromod on a car.

every chibanez made caused a tree to die just to make a crapp guitar , when a little pride and non copyright infrengement would have made it worth it.

By the way here is your best bet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDGE-TREM-ST...item3a7ca00455
its chibanez too but probably a good idea for yours.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

I do not know of a way to get an official neck besides buying used. I do know a local builder who makes necks, many times out of exotic wood. I may be able to get one from him for a reasonable cost. As it stands, only the neck, body, and pickguard (the actual plastic) is from the kit. The body is mahogany, and likely will not be any better or worse than any mid range guitar in the end. The pickguard is made as well as any I've seen, but that's no surprise, since plastic is right in chinas wheelhouse. The neck ( and perhaps the trem) are the only possible remaining issues.

Sounds like there shouldn't be any real issue with the ofr as far as quality. Gonna take pictures and upload here in the next couple hours to show you guys what I mean.

Update. Here are the pics. Kinda hard to tell since I don't want to pull the one off my bc rich (tuning stability doesn't matter since its only hung on the wall, not played). But the one on the bc rich is wider than the OFR. By like 1/8 of an inch. The one it came with matches the holes that are drilled for the pegs, but the other one is a tad narrow. Will this still fit ? Also, here is the weight of the OFR and a pic of the block. Looks like the metal used in most cheap stuff, like die-cast cars and whatnot. 11.7 oz

Last edited by ohaple; 01-28-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode