Tremolos that fit Jem Jr? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Tremolos that fit Jem Jr?

Does anyone know what Tremolos fit into the routing of a Jem Jr?

Was gonna order a Gotoh FR or a Floyd Rose Special because the ibanez' terms are very expensive.

Is the Floyd Rose Special good enough or will it be worth it to get the more expensive Gotoh or Schaller Floyd Rose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:35 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Tremolos that fit Jem Jr?

I don't know if the Floyd Special fits but I would avoid it, it's probably not much better than what is on your Jr at the moment. I have a cheap LTD guitar with one and I'm having tuning issues with it.

Have you look at these:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...lo_System.html

The base plate looks very similar as the one on the Jr. Check the specs and measure the one on your Jr.

Last edited by BenoA; 03-06-2017 at 08:45 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:13 AM

Id say its worth it to get the Gotoh 1996t, I recently did a full upgrade on my Jr with the 1996t and its great and has great stability, just dropped right in (except for the studs but I just used the factory studs for now)
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

OK, 1996 then. A guy on YT used the FR Special but had to take it to a luthier because the base plate scratched the corners of the cavity when the trem was used & the but didn't fit at all.

Does the Gotoh 1996 nut fit directly onto the Jem Jr as well?

I'm not a heavy tremolo user & think the Ibanez DL works pretty great for me but the sustain sucks. It's definitely better than what was on my previous budget Ibanez rg270.
Does anyone know what kind of brass block would fit an Ibanez DL, if the screw holes for those intended for FR, Gotoh or Edge?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 11:19 AM

Rather than start a new thread, I am piggy backing here... Linus I hope you don't mind.

I also have a Jem Jr that I just purchased and am looking to replace the Standard DL tremolo. Based on the research I have done, the best options for replacements are the Gotoh 1996t (about $95-$110) or an Original Floyd Rose ($200-$230). My understanding is that both are drop in replacements. With the OFR, I can utilize the new studs without any body modifications. The Gotoh would require me to use the original studs or modify the body if I want to use the supplied studs.

I've never owned a guitar with an actual OFR nor the Gotoh. I'm wondering if it is worth spending the extra money on the OFR. I've seen people post that the Gotoh is just as good but then again, if I am not replacing the studs on the Gotoh, does it make better sense to go with the OFR? Anyone want to offer their opinion or Knowledge?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 08:42 PM

For those who are interested I just purchased an Original Floyd Rose in black nickel tonight. I chose an R3 nut and feel that the provided 38MM trem block will fit based on measurements I took from the original DL trem and space in the cavity. I will report back in a few days after I receive it and have had time to install it to confirm fit.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 AM

Update: The tremolo swap went seamlessly. The OFR was a direct drop in replacement. The only parts from the OFR that I didn't use was the wood ferrules or the string tree. Both would have fit but I saw no point in changing them. The OFR studs screwed into the original ferrules just fine.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 08:54 AM

Is there difference in sound and sustain?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
Is there difference in sound and sustain?
I can't say that it sounds any different but then again, I'd only had the guitar for a week before I made the change. I can say that it sustains better but I also adjusted the setup while changing the tremolo. The biggest difference I noticed (beyond the obvious quality improvement) was the ease of use. The OFR just floats much better. The Standard DL seemed much more stiff and I also had to give it an extra pull back sometimes to bring it back to level.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportrider24 View Post
I can't say that it sounds any different but then again, I'd only had the guitar for a week before I made the change. I can say that it sustains better but I also adjusted the setup while changing the tremolo. The biggest difference I noticed (beyond the obvious quality improvement) was the ease of use. The OFR just floats much better. The Standard DL seemed much more stiff and I also had to give it an extra pull back sometimes to bring it back to level.
Someone on YouTube said he did the switch but that the baseplate on the OFR was touching the edge of the routed cavity when bending the bar toward the body / divebombing. That "hook" part of the baseplate that surrounds the stud is different on the OFR compared to the Ibanez DL, Edge & Gotoh's

You didnt have this problem?

If so, I think I'll buy the FR Special
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus View Post
Someone on YouTube said he did the switch but that the baseplate on the OFR was touching the edge of the routed cavity when bending the bar toward the body / divebombing. That "hook" part of the baseplate that surrounds the stud is different on the OFR compared to the Ibanez DL, Edge & Gotoh's

You didnt have this problem?

If so, I think I'll buy the FR Special
Nope. I'm not having that problem at all. I wonder if they used the studs supplied by Floyd Rose or the Ibanez studs?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 04:28 PM

I can confirm that an OFR fits JEM JR. Even the existing posts worked. I had an original Made in Germany 1985 OFR lying around cuz I removed it from my 1985 Gibson to change color and install the Ghost system. Only difference was the block on my OFR is longer. Appeared that I could have swapped with the shorter Ibanez but I decided to keep it and just not use the back cover instead as the Floyd block is so beefy and high quality. Guitar gained some sustain as a result and is a bit smoother action when using the tremolo.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

OFR costs 250 in Europe (1/2 a Jem Jr) & a Gotoh costs 140 - Is there a downside to using the Jem Jr studs instead of the Gotoh studs that won't fit?

FR Special is 100 & is a direct replacement, made in Korea copy with the same specs as the OFR with the only difference that its tone-block & saddles are made out of zinc alloy instead of brass & steel. I have an L shaped 32mm brass block that fits an FR trem but zinc saddles - is it a big deal?

Last edited by linus; 01-20-2018 at 11:08 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 04:00 AM

Instead of OFR buy Schaller Lockmeister,

I put one in yesterday, and it is more then great.
So far only problem is that thing flutter for 4 seconds or more if I dont stop it, hahaha.
You should buy one with 37mm block and R3 nut,
(but I Bought gold with 42mm block, and R2 nut, wanted heavy block and slightly narrower locking nut then previous.)

Last edited by peromucho7; 01-21-2018 at 04:07 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 04:02 AM

And Schaller studs are matching previous wood inserts, so I left those wood inserts and just screw new Schuller studs in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode