tremsetter - any difference in models? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

tremsetter - any difference in models?

i found three different companies that make tremsetters. are these direct replacements for the Ibanez ones? i can't remember which 3 companies were offering them - i'll check it out today and re-post. they aren't too expensive, but i was wondering if they would work as well as the Ibanez ones? since there are tremsetters available thru other companies, why do people still pay mucho $ for the Ibanez ones?

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 10:44 PM

from what i've seen, the other products aren't quite what the tremsetter is, such as there is only adjustment barrel or some difference like that.
also, the hipshot that i've seen may work decently but it's a far cry from the ibz in functionality and adjustability.

now i know that i've seen difference of opinion here about fit, but from my experience ibanez bodies are still routed for this thing, though that may all have changed since they've started with new trems, etc.

i can say one thing, in 16 years of use mine still works like new.... i will NEVER part with it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

interesting. i would like to find out which one is the closest to the Ibanez version and try it out on some of my Jems and Rgs. i'll check to see the name of the manufactures that produce these.
welcome to jemsite TZ.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 03:42 PM

Hi!
I would also like to know which one would suite an ibanez the best. Why don't they make that freakin' little backtop anymore?!!!!! Come on Ibanez get serious now!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 03:53 AM

http://www.rockinger.com/

http://www.musik-produktiv.de/home/home01g.asp/sid/!18121995

relating to the backstop, i found these with the search function. both are in german i believe, good luck navigating

anyway, i actually had a chance to look at the newer trems this weekend and found that they stay in tune fairly well. a shame the folks at the store wouldn't let me take the backplate off to look for "device compatability".

i appreciate the warm welcome, in my 4 years here i think it was my first actually, i'm a lurker and my participation typically increases with my involvement with my axe. sadley, we aren't where we once were

mike
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:43 PM

I absolutely cannot understand why Ibanez stopped making backstops. Those were possibly the most brilliant (never mind most sought after) trem setters EVER!! They could be making decent money with it! all the while keeping ALL of the Ibanez fans happy...someone ought to tell them...possibly Steve? JUST SOMEHOW GET IT BACK INTO THE MARKET!!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:06 PM

As we all know, lately ibanez has a knack for doing things the public doesn't like
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

WD, Schaller and Hipshot are the three models that are available. any info on which ones are good (best overall) with Ibanez trems would be extremely helpful. thanks.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 08:49 AM

Hi! I have ordered the WD tremolo stabilizer and will return with a review when I get the thing. I couldn't find anything about it on the net but I hope it will work. It's cheaper than the Hipshot and I don't think it requires any modifications to the guitar.... Might be wrong 'cause nobody knows anything about this mystery device.... I didn't know that Schaller was making a tremsetter... Anyways the new Edge Pro is actually not as unstable as the old LoPro Edge - it doesn't move as much when bending strings but still... I'll be back...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 08:58 AM

OK just checked the Schaller website and their "trem-stop" actually isn't a possibility because it only locks the trem... What I want is a device working like the Ibanez backstop (since I can't get the backstop). I'll return when I've gotten hold of my WD TS-1
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 02:40 PM

As promised I'll put a little review of the WD trem stabilizer here:
OK. Basically this thing works but... It doesn't work properly from my point of view. I just got the damn thing after weeks of anticipation. And after installing it, which took aprox. half an hour because of spring problems, I tried it out. What it basically does is it lies within one of the springs keeping the spring from moving. The other springs move normally. And it is put in the spring on the bass side of the guitar. Because the spring on the bass side is stiffened up you can screw the trem claw a little more in which keeps the trem from moving when doing double stops.
The thing I don't like about it is that when you pull up on the whammy bar it pushes the tremclaw back. The spring is stiff so it pushes the trem claw back and it doesn't return to pitch!!! **** this is a real piece of crap. Don't buy this thing. It looks totally wrong when used. I thought it was a kind of a damper-thing that could actually move but it only stays in the spring and stiffens it up. I think I will try to get an old backstop device or a tremolno or a hipshot tremsetter... Would much prefer the backstop device but where should I get one from???
If anyone from Ibanez reads this then please start making the backstop again... Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 03:03 PM

yeah, I've been saying this for a while now but Ibanez should really bring back the back stop. They can sell them for $30 a piece and i bet they'll sell half a million with in the first month
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 03:38 PM

Precisely!

Tags
hipshot tremsetter , ibanez backstop , ibanez trem , pro edge , trem claw , trem setter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode