TRS-101 direct replacments? Are there any? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

TRS-101 direct replacments? Are there any?

Before anyone gets irritated with me, please pardon what it prolly a common question.I have a neurologicl issue, and I'm danged if I can use the search properly. (And my spelling sometimes sucks. It used to be great...not anymore!

My guittar is a Yamaha Pacifica 721. It has a TRS101 trem. I want to use a better floyd type trem on this guittr.

Please, I need to know if there are any direct relacemnt trems for the TRS-101.

Any advice on this wuld be grtly appreciated!

Best reaghds,

Ferd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 04:02 AM

Reviews: 11
Re: TRS-101 direct replacments? Are there any?

Fred,

the trs 101 is a decent trem system. It has hardened knife edges and is well regarded. For cost effective swaps, you're really not going to get anything much better, or noticeable for that matter. If you want to swap to an edge type trem system, that would be my suggestion.

Is yours damaged or something? If thats why, people here suggest gotoh's or schallers for replacements.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Fred,

the trs 101 is a decent trem system. It has hardened knife edges and is well regarded. For cost effective swaps, you're really not going to get anything much better, or noticeable for that matter. If you want to swap to an edge type trem system, that would be my suggestion.

Is yours damaged or something? If thats why, people here suggest gotoh's or schallers for replacements.
I'm waiting for the guitar to arrive via FedEx. Got it on eBay. The trem looked pretty rough in the pics, so I figured I should ask you guys. When it gets here, I'll play it then take it apart to see it's condition. Glad to know that the TRS-101 is well thought of!!! If my trem is shot, does anyone sell the TRS-101, and are they Japanese?
Thank you very much! BTW, the spelling is Ferd, not Fred. I got it from an old comdsy TV show, Rowan & martin's Laugh-In. LOL Thanks again!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Spking of Fred, tho, the guitar has Evolution pickupps in it. If they are too hot fr me, I'm gonna sell em and get a FRED and a Bluesbucker.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd Burple View Post
I'm waiting for the guitar to arrive via FedEx. Got it on eBay. The trem looked pretty rough in the pics, so I figured I should ask you guys. When it gets here, I'll play it then take it apart to see it's condition. Glad to know that the TRS-101 is well thought of!!! If my trem is shot, does anyone sell the TRS-101, and are they Japanese?
Thank you very much! BTW, the spelling is Ferd, not Fred. I got it from an old comdsy TV show, Rowan & martin's Laugh-In. LOL Thanks again!
lmao, my bad! Figured you got a little dyslexic for a second . Yes the TRS101's are MIJ. The LO TRS2's are relatively speaking, crap, though. Kind of strange a yamaha comes with a japanese ibanez trem system though, thats kind of strange in itself.

As far as EVO's go, Im not a huge fan, but tone is subjective, you may enjoy them.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

The trem cavity seems to be routed for the specific shape of the TRS-101, but as far as what was stock, who knows? Not me, thats forr sure! LOL

I think the EVO's will prolly be too hot for me, but i will gve them a chance. :-) If I don't like'em, I'll sell em. :-) THANK YOU AGAIN!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Reviews: 4

Hold on a sec LP, I thought the TRS-101 was the single locking one, where the strings went through to dummy-string-locks.

I might be wrong thx.

EDIT: yeah I was wrong, I was thinking about the SLT-101.

Last edited by fwd0120; 06-20-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: was wrong for once ;)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
lmao, my bad! Figured you got a little dyslexic for a second . Yes the TRS101's are MIJ. The LO TRS2's are relatively speaking, crap, though. Kind of strange a yamaha comes with a japanese ibanez trem system though, thats kind of strange in itself.

As far as EVO's go, Im not a huge fan, but tone is subjective, you may enjoy them.
The TRS-101 is not an Ibanez specific one.

In saying that BC Rich used Edge trems for a while.

The TRS-101 is made by Takeuchi (spelling may be wrong) in Japan, it is decent.

OP The finish may be looking a little ratty, but the knife edges can be filed, making it perfectly usable. You may also be able to strip the ratty looking finish to show up some lovely chrome underneath, making it look almost brand new again. Takes very little effort.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

You are all very helpful. I'll let y'all know how it goes. THANK YOU!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:47 PM

Hope that works out for you!! Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone know if the TRS-101 will accept a D-Tuna?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbouxa View Post
Hope that works out for you!! Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone know if the TRS-101 will accept a D-Tuna?

TRS-101 should accept it, but it wont work if your bridge is floating. You will need to get something to block it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
TRS-101 should accept it, but it wont work if your bridge is floating. You will need to get something to block it.
Thanks, The Tremol-No that I have installed is the only saving grace that the lo-trsII has from being utterly useless.

Tags
trs 101

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode