Truss rod adjustment help! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Truss rod adjustment help!

Alright so with my new guitar i had quite some fret buzz with my thicker 3 strings. By eying and measuring to the best of my abilities my neck was straight as an arrow and needed more relief. So i misread instructions and tried to adjust the truss rod the way to take away even more relief and i discovered i couldn't really move it, so since i didn't want to do anything stupid i didn't bother trying to move it anymore. So I came back to the internet, read that I had to turn it the other way, and went for another shot. I found again that I couldn't move it the right way, maybe cause i had forced it too far the wrong way. I didn't think i was pushing hard at all (only using my wrist) and then it suddenly moved (the right way) and moved smoothly then. When it started moving it jerked from a standstill to a little less than 1/8 a turn and it made a cracking noise.

I'll try to explain it again cause it's hard to word. Truss rod wasn't moving, so I pushed a little bit harder. I don't know how hard hard is when working with truss rods, but like I said I was only using my wrist. It moved and made a cracking noise, which I think was just the nut at the end, but after that it moved smoothly, but not so smoothly that I didn't feel that I was moving a truss rod.

Did I wreck something? I'm absolutely terrified cause I just got this guitar and am NOT prepared to spend any more money. I am going to go check it again in a half hour after the truss adjustment has set. I'm hoping that it was just a tiny tiny bit stuck or it's something normal. It always takes a bit i guess to turn a screw or nut for example, after it's been in place for a long time.

It still played normally after the adjustment, but It didn't help the buzzing, and there might actually be more. It buzzes on the lower frets if i play too hard and buzzes past 12 no matter what. I may just be trying to put the action too low, but from eyesight it doesn't look that low. All of that is talking about the E, A, and D strings, the lighter ones are just fine.

I really should take the thing to a tech, but like I said I don't want to spend any money.

Yes this is a long post, but damn I'm nervous

UPDATE: Alright I *think* everything is OK, cause now it plays a bit better, and there is definitely less fret buzz than before everywhere. The "crack" noise is the exact same noise I get when I adjust the action on my bridge, it just takes a little bit to get the thing in motion. Using the word crack makes it sound worse than it is...

Last edited by Clypher; 01-25-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 01:15 PM

Re: Truss rod adjustment help!

Yeah it sounds like it was just tight. If your truss rod was broken I think you would hear some rattling. Don't be afraid to adjust the trus rod, thats what it's there for. Just take it slow (1/4 turn at a time) and don't force anything. If you really want to get the most out of your guitar take it to a good tech, or back to where you bought it and have it properly setup.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Re: Truss rod adjustment help!

Thank you, I will definitely take it to a tech but I'm gonna wait until I get a new pickup so the purpose will be twofold. I like to save money whenever possible, haha.

Tags
fret buzz , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode