Truss Rod Routing Depth?? How Deep is too Deep? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Truss Rod Routing Depth?? How Deep is too Deep?

On the StewMac website, they list the routing depth for their "Hot Rod" truss rods as 7/16", measured from the bottom of the fingerboard. Now maybe it's just me, but that doesn't leave a whole lot of wood between the bottom of the routed channel and the back of the neck. Does that seem a little deep?

Anybody got a better recommendation for truss rods for Ibanez or other thin necks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 02:45 PM

think you'll need a single rod truss rod,isn't the one your talking about have 1 rod over the top of another?

Rob
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the "Hot Rod" is a 2-rod setup. Is there an advantage to that over the stock single threaded rod with a flat bar attatched to it (other than clearance)? Which of the other rods would you recommend? Also, do the truss rod kits normally come with the flat bar and the barrels to go over the truss rod? I didn't see that mentioned on the StewMac web site.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 05:01 PM

The hot rod can counteract a backbow. That's why they are made of two threaded rods, because there is mid-point where there is no tension, but it will bow in either direction. The flat top dual rods just correct a forward bow, and the nut will go loose when there's no more tension. The hot rod is a good rod, and I used it for one wizard style neck, but I took about 1/32nd off the fretboard thickness to put the rod more in the center of the neck. The thickness at the bottom of the channel is of little consequence since the rod will not be pushing against that part of the neck. It will be pushing up on the fretboard and back on the heel and headstock area. With any non-traditional dual rod, I recommend having a volute. There is no reason not to. You need extra meat there, but not necessarily under the rod along the back of the neck.

Tags
truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode