Trussrod on my PGM30 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Trussrod on my PGM30

Hello,

I need some advice regarding trussrod adjustment.

The deal is I just put lighter strings on my guitar,
(Ibanez PGM30) and now I see that I need to loosen (?)
the truss rod.
Now, I have done this before on different guitars
but Iīve never on a rod like this one.

My questions:
Should the clamp (nut) be locked while adjusting?
Which direction will loosen the rod?
Is it bad to wait for a few days before making the adjustment ( I need to buy a tool
thatīll fit the rod)?

Iīm greatful for any help on the subject.

Regards, Anders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 07:35 AM

i think it's good to wait 1 or 2 days before making any truss-rod adjustments.
i would unclamp the nut while making truss-rod adjustments, you just want to have your guitar in tune, always, cause the strings have to put the exact tension on the neck, before and after any truss-rod adjustments.

rule of thumb:
counter-clockwise > loosen
clockwise > tighten

good luck
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Great!
thank you!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 11:03 PM

Normally, you put the new strings on,try to bring them all to tune, and check the trem angle to make sure it is level.Adjsut the springs as needed and retune.then repeat that process til the guitar is in tune and the trem is level.

THen I set the neck relief, recheck tuning and trem angle to see if they move. you can develop your own procedure but all these thing play against each other in a set up and oyu must balance each part of the equation

THe last thing I do is adjsut the action( trem height) Because it wont affect the other settings if they are correct
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip.

I have been away for a few days and havenīt yet had the time to do the adjustments unfortunately. I read this @ http://www.ibanez.com/support/howtos.asp

"The truss rod is adjustable at the headstock using as allen wrench or an adjustment wrench."

Iīm gonna buy this "allen wrench" or an "adjustment wrench" tomorrow but what gauge should I buy? Iīve tried to measure the rod and I think it is 8mm. Well no biggie I guess, if it wounīt fit Iīll just buy a different gauge.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 12:58 AM

My RGs and Jem use a 10mm wrench.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks ScreamJem7
My truss rod must be different coz itīs much thinner than 10mm.

Well well I bought three different wrenches today and none of them would fit the rod. 7,8 and 9 mm. All of them too big.
I wonder what kind will?
So frustrating but no surprise.
I guess I need some kind of a specially designed tool for this which sux coz Iīm used to being able to use an ordinary wrench (with 6 sides) this one calls for an inverted six side wrench and none of the three I bought was even remotely close to fitting the rod. Too little space between the rod and the wood underneath it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 10:34 PM

I meant a to say 7mm socket wrench that ships with all Jems and RG guitars. Not a hex key or allen wrench. Not 10mm. Sorry for the confusion.

Here's a pic of the Ibanez tool kit.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

thanks again ScreamJem7

Thanks for the pic!
...the [trussrod-7mm thin wall socket] is exactly what I need.
Are they avalable in musicstores or do I have to order one from Ibanez?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to your pic I was able to identify the proper tool and send pictures of it to various music stores in Stockholm; and they said they could order one for me but then a saviour from a swedish guitar forum said he could spare me one and sent it today so Iīm getting it tomorrow. I think that was really really nice of him.

So Iīll be adjusting the trussrod tomorrow. Supadupa!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

While removing the trussrod cap (guard?) to gain access to the trussrod I also took the liberty of removing the string tree (the one thatīs crossing all six strings and is attachad by two screws). Now I donīt know which way is the correct to replace it. Itīs slightly concave or convex, depending on how you see it...Is there a right way for the string tree to be attached - I donīt remember if it was originally set with the slight bulge facing towards the fretboard or away from it. Iīve looked at close-up pics of JEM headstocks in the jemsite gallery and the string tree is more often attached with the slight bulge facing towards the nut, yet occasionally on a few headstock it is facing away from the nut and the fretboard. This startled me and know I donīt know which is what or if it matters at all?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 04:21 PM

- -
__------__

- - <--- these are supposed to be the screws that mount it

____-----____ is my pathetic attemp at showing you which way up it goes

if you view the headstock from the tip with the guitar on the floor it'll loot like that (should do)

Ahhh Hhhhhaaaarrrrr

Hope that helps

Rob
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Jem7RB MK

thanks!
and thanks for the pic too!
nice looking Jem.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 04:13 AM

Yeah she was special ... Thats now sold

Rob

Tags
allen wrench , ibanez pgm , music store , neck relief , rod adjustment , string tree , trem height , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode