Tubes - Which brand tubes are best??? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Tubes - Which brand tubes are best???

I'm using a Marshall TSL100 and I'm looking to replace my tubes.
Any suggestions for brand(Groove tubes, Shark, ...) are welcome.
With Groove tubes I know there are different type of EL34. So which is the best for Marshall.
Lars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 03:23 PM

Tubes

Lars,
* * * *Check into the Svetlana EL-34's. I believe that they are pretty much regarded as the best 34's available. Don't bother with GT, they don't even make thier own tubes (they just put the GT logo on them) and then they slap a high price tag on them. * * * *
* * * * * * Go with the Svets......That should be what your Marshall originally came with.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 09:57 PM

Tubes

Check out these links:

http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/MooksTasteTests/
http://www.firebottle.com/ampage/bbs/amps/

Be forewarned that they will only complicate your decision, as you have asked an incredibly subjective question.

-Devin
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 03:58 AM

Tubes

Also check out http://www.watfordvalves.com

They are U.K. based but even if you don't decide to purchase from them they have lots of good info so it should help you come to a decision.

Steve
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Tubes

did anyone hear about shark tubes, Because my local store here in Belgium is trying to sell me these ones.
already thanx for the info, i will check these url's
lars
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 01:58 AM

Tubes

I use the Mesa boogie EL34's in my marshall 30th anniv. 6100 100watt head. They sound real nice and smooth, great for blues, jazz, rock. Creamy Marshall tube crunch, and overdrive tone.
Then i've got a '75 fender twin reverb with mesa boogie 6L6's, definitely has a harsher distortion tone....one that cuts like a knife! Good for alternative, more heavier guitar sound.

Whatever style music you play....is what will affect your decision as to which tubes to get.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 07:19 PM

Tubes

Close!!!

Surfer.
When I had my LP goldtop I used to have a '73 ( I think ) twin and I so much enjoyed the warmth of tone, especially clean, that it offered.
How does your '75 stack up?

I've been so tempted to go the old fender route for clean tones for quite a while now.

Steve
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 07:24 PM

Tubes

Back to the topic.

Svetlana 34's are what you wanna' go for.

An unsurpassed tone and gain in ye' old marshall they do offer

Basically I seem to think you can achieve the old Marshall power sound and not the Indestinctive offering you get today.

Steve
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 03:01 PM

Tubes

I too recommend Svetlana, or if you wanna spend a little bit more, get a set of JJ. They are made in the old Tesla factory.

Mesa uses cheap chinese made tubes.

Never heard of Shark.

GT uses various brands and sticks their logo on them.

Fender uses Sovteks.

Sovteks aren't all that great.

Go with Svetlana or JJ, and if you get them from a local tube guy, he'll probly even test burn them for free.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 04:40 PM

Tubes

As said before..

Stay away from the Mesa/GT's.. their just chinese or other cheapo tubes w/ their logo screened on them.

Check out www.eurotubes.com for JJ Electronics tubes. I'm getting 7 12AX&'s from them and maybe some EL34's (probably the Svetlana's though).
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 04:54 PM
rgr

Tubes

GT tubes are fine, they are just expensive. *They buy their tubes from several different manufacturers, Chinese and Russian. *The Chinese are usually cheaper than the Russian, if you ask them they will tell you where the model you are asking about is from. *

Not sure where Mesa gets their power tubes from but their preamp tubes are Chinese. *I pesonally think the Chinese preamp tubes are better than sovteks, they have a clearer sound. * Hopefull Svetlana will make a 12AX7 soon.

I would recommend Svet power tubes, they are great and cheaper than GTs. *

Roger

Tags
clean tone , fender twin , fender twin reverb , groove tubes , marshall tsl , mesa boogie , preamp tube , twin reverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in