Tuners - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich
  • 1 Post By Formerly Given To Fly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Tuners

Not ‘dude, I almost had you!’ tuners, but Japanese imports nonetheless

My old Boss TU12 seems to have given up the ghost, what are people using these days. Ideally NOTa pedal, this is more for setups, because I don’t gig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 06:24 PM
site founder 0% owner

Re: Tuners

Ha, My TU12 is still going easily 25-yrs now i don't really like it much and almost wish it would die to gimme an excuse to buy the peterson clip-on LCD.

It's really, really tough to beat Peterson's phone apps .... $9.99 + sweetners if you want (an adapter, or irig or headstock clip useful accessory but not 100% needed)
https://www.petersontuners.com/products/istrobosoft/
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 08:21 PM

I agree. The Peterson Tuning App is great. If you do not want an app, any Peterson Strobe Tuner is great.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 11:45 PM
Vendor

Strobes are too sensitive for floater tuning, they're good for setting intonation and that's about it. I've loved and used Sabine ST1000/1100's for 30 years. I always liked them and never saw or tried anything I liked more. When mine bites the dust I'll replace with another.

So if you liked the TU why do you want to change? Or do you just want to know what all the cool dudes are using now?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Strobes are too sensitive for floater tuning
How come?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 12:47 AM
Vendor

Because doing a setup, which Jono said he'd mostly be using it for [I think], tuning a floater is all about getting it close, then stretching in the strings and start working on getting it closer. Once everything is stretched and you've got it all adjusted back to baseline at correct pitch on all string, you can go ahead and finish with a strobe if you wish. But the act of getting it to that final point in a setup where everything dials in perfect, it's about being close, not précise. You can spend forever being precise when it's going to change the next tuner you touch. It's far easier [for ME] to work with average sensitivity, compared to a strobe. It's not like we're talking about crappy tuners, they're excellent [not good at picking up very low frequencies!!] and I don't need thousandths of a cent, hundredths are plenty accurate for setting up a floater. The only time I need and use the strobe is to set the intonation, which you really only need to do once.

Should you have strobe sensitivity to set the intonation? Yes. But you'll also get several different readings in the many different ways to set intonation.

But for "tuning" a guitar, I'm using my Sabine, Trem or FX.
Leviathus likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 01:01 AM

Word.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:23 AM
site founder 0% owner

FWIW istrobosoft/stomp is 1/10th (0.1) cent accuracy and so darn easy to use because it's a visual "strobe". The sensitivity/speed is also adjustable. $9.99 is a great value

most regular tuners are 1 cent accuracy
https://www.boss.info/se/products/tu-12/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Strobes are too sensitive for floater tuning, they're good for setting intonation and that's about it. I've loved and used Sabine ST1000/1100's for 30 years. I always liked them and never saw or tried anything I liked more. When mine bites the dust I'll replace with another.

So if you liked the TU why do you want to change? Or do you just want to know what all the cool dudes are using now?
I'm just wondering what the cool kids are using, I'm not much into apps, I'm always letting my igadgets run out of power and stuff, and was really looking for a "physical" tuner, but I'm not a technophobe and will certainly look into an app.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'm just wondering what the cool kids are using, I'm not much into apps, I'm always letting my igadgets run out of power and stuff, and was really looking for a "physical" tuner, but I'm not a technophobe and will certainly look into an app.
I think it is interesting that you say that because while I have apps for tuning, I primarily use a Peterson StroboPlus HD simply because it is a tuner and not part of an iPhone/iPad. Also, the StroboPlus HD replaced my Boss TU-15 and I am happy with that choice.
jono likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode