Turning a Jem into a Les Paul.... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Turning a Jem into a Les Paul....

No.... not as bad as it sounds. I was just wondering about a certain mod I have been toying with. I love Ibanez guitars, I like my Jem jr and have been thinking about a Jem77BFP or some of the other beautiful Ibanez guitars.
However, I really don't want an Edge tremolo. If I had to have a whammy bar I would lean towards something like that on a Strat. In other words I just don't want locking strings. If one breaks I want to be able to change it on the fly.
Also the Gravity Storm and other Dimarzio pups are hotter than what I would like. I wouldn't mind some low output humbuckers. On there.
Now I know some of you will think sacrilege, it's like taking a Ferrari and swapping the engine for a rotary one. Why don't I just buy a Gibson or a fender? Because I like everything about the Ibanez guitars, but I am really craving the low output humbucker sound and I want to be able to change my strings quickly if need be!

Has anyone ever done a swap like this, or have any thoughts other than to call me nutz?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:43 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Turning a Jem into a Les Paul....

you could block the trem (free with a bottle cap) and then change pickups but you're chasing something to make an Ibanez into an axe it won't ever be. If you're buying a guitar i'd suggest just looking for a fixed-bridge axe... not only Ibanez but every other brand in your price range.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I should just get that Strat with the 3 Seymour Duncan mini humbuckers from 920D and call it a day (and then when my wife's not looking get a blue Ibanez )
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

I completely get the idea behind this, I find the looks and feel of a JEM to be really inspiring, but sometimes you can want a different sound.

I say that you should just go for it.

There are several ways to block a trem, from the “tremel-no” device to a bit of wood, to a bottle cap . And fitting a pair of pickups is an easy enough job, with many companies offering colours and styles that will let you keep the look, but really change the sound!

And having heard a Mazda 787 up real close, there is nothing wrong with dumping the Ferrari V8 in favour of a rotary
chrose1201 likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 05:01 AM

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 05:49 AM

It's a Jem-Jr, just sell it and go buy a guitar with a stop tail, I'm not surprised you can't get on with the tremolo and those INF pickups don't sound great either.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I looked this one up. Hard to find, and they got royally blasted! Still how bad could it really be?!?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
It's a Jem-Jr, just sell it and go buy a guitar with a stop tail, I'm not surprised you can't get on with the tremolo and those INF pickups don't sound great either.
Actually I really LIKE THE Jem Jr. It was signed and decorated by Steve Vai because believe it or not, I WON it from Amazon! In fact I couldn't wait to try it so I played it lightly for a few minutes and promptly rubbed off part of Vai so the signature for the most part said just Steve. Hey... who signed your guitar? Oh "Steve" did... I was able to then get him to re-sign it (or that was my plan) unfortunately for a variety of reasons he was hurried and misunderstood my intentions so now I likely have the only guitar in the world signed by "Steve Steve Vai"!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:34 AM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
Thanks for HURTING MY EYES!!!!!
chrose1201 and Leviathus like this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
There are several ways to block a trem, from the “tremel-no” device to a bit of wood, to a bottle cap .

Actually I don't mind the vibrato arm, I just don't like the locking strings. This means that I have to bring 2 guitars to a gig instead of just one. Really that's the big issue for me, other than the humbucker thang.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:40 AM
site founder 0% owner

If you want to switch between fixed bridge and floating double-locker you need two guitars. Just recognize that no way around it sorry.

The Jr is an ok candidate (if you kept it) to fix the bridge since the trem is meh and it won't fetch much in resale. At that point finding pickups you like at a decent price is not a terrible idea. You can use the locking nut & fine tuners to improve tuning also if you don't detune as a hardtail. You can also expand the pickup selection options such as putting in a coil-split or parallel switch including push/pull pots. Good luck.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:44 PM

Reviews: 6

the biggest issue i see is the body wood...les pauls are made of mahogany whereas most jems are not...even a les paul pickup will sound different in basswood than it does in mahogany...suggestion? get the premium mahogany jem and start with that as your base...block the trem and pit in a pair of burstbuckers or equivalent and you should be good to go...d.m.
chrose1201 and Shredder87 like this.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Thanks for HURTING MY EYES!!!!!

The EAFX is the best modding platform ever, all ya gotta do is sharpie out the Vai/Earth graphic and you've got an awesome guitar!
chrose1201 likes this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:36 AM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
The EAFX is the best modding platform ever, all ya gotta do is sharpie out the Vai/Earth graphic and you've got an awesome guitar!
"Best modding platform ever"... maybe if you want a Steve Vai styled real hardtail and no luthier work it's your only option but as a modding platform.... it's basswood, has a huge monkey grip cutout, shred neck, pickups not universally loved (the breed) but most crucial not many made or available (2 sold in last 2 years on reverb for just over $1200). I think it's safe to say the JEM/Vai super-fans who would consider buying an EAFX won't sharpie out a $1300 axe after waiting months to find one (maybe put a sticker over the earth graphic keeping it's value intact). From a neutral buyer perspective, if you want an Ibanez hardtail you could find several dozens for $1300 immediately new and used & much cheaper too MIJ. YMMV.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 05:05 PM

word, i was joking though...

Tags
humbuckers , jem , standard bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode