Tut: Removing a Broken Trem Arm w/o Pulling the Trem (pics) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Tut: Removing a Broken Trem Arm w/o Pulling the Trem (pics)

Well I finally broke a trem arm, after thinking it nearly impossible. I tend to be erm, intense with the whammy sometimes (always). I mean come on, who doesn't love a flying g-string harmonic? Anyhow, I occasionally (all the time) lift the guitar by the trem arm during epic harmonic raises. A few days back I was leaning on a stool playing, no strap, and I go for one and SNAP, what a nasty noise that is. Luckily I caught her (practice makes perfect!) and was left with this:

::arg!::

I could have removed the trem and easily dealt with it, but I felt it was time to get creative...

So leave those strings on and grab a screwdriver!
Step 1 - Remove the tiny screw from the tip of the arm holder:

Step 2 - Grab yourself an old low E string. Incidentally I keep a zip bag of old string ends around, don't you?!

Step 3 - Maneuver into the arm holder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Re: Tut: Removing a Broken Trem Arm w/o Pulling the Trem (pics)

Step 4 - Push straight down, hard, but w/o bending the string

If your technique was good, you'll get a prize!

Step 5 - Go to the store and get a new trem bar! Make up an incredibly extravagant story about it (involving dragons) and try to get one for free, it won't work but it'll be fun (I believe it's about $8-$12).

Step 6 - Go home and keep rocking! (But perhaps tone down the antics)

The hardest part of the whole thing is getting that infernal screw back in place with the trem in! In fact, I actually did this about 30mins ago, spent 2 minutes on removal, and about 10 on that screw before giving up, lol, I'll do it tomarrow...

\00/ Enjoy!

Last edited by SonataGuitarist; 05-09-2007 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Put the screw back!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:50 AM
Vendor

It's easier to use your 1.5mm Allen wrench
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 AM
Dee

Exactly what I was gonna say. Beat me to it. Anyway, that serves him right for trying to be Herman Li.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataGuitarist View Post
The hardest part of the whole thing is getting that infernal screw back in place with the trem in! In fact, I actually did this about 30mins ago, spent 2 minutes on removal, and about 10 on that screw before giving up, lol, I'll do it tomarrow...
Ummm, remove the tremolo arm?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Doh!
They were in the same box as the guitar strings come to think of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Ummm, remove the tremolo arm?
Yeah, the actual piece. Vai did this before Herman too .
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:03 AM
Dee

Yeah, doesn't make it any cooler.

What screw are you talking about, though? The one with that attaches the little metal wirey bit?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:09 AM
Vendor

The holder screw, and if the spring is aligned against the block, forget it, just pull the trem.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, its a flashy move, but I think it can be done tastefully. Granted I was being a bit gratituitous at the time!

Edit: Right, holder screw, its a toughy with trem in, it doesnt work with magnetic bits.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Dee

Well, I was just kidding man, go ahead and throw your shapes, have fun.

About that screw, why are you doing it with the bar inserted anyways?!! I don't get it...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 01:42 PM

same exact thing happened to me during a gig last friday.
Wasn't going nuts at the time but i do give the whammy some serious abuse most of the time.
i was just turning around and it fell off, didn't break in my hand, must have snapped and stayed in there for a little while before dropping off.
played the rest of the gig without using the trem coz the little piece was still stuck inside the arm holder. felt weird not to use the trem at all for nearly half a gig.
good thing that I had a spare one at home.
whereas i love the edge trems and the pop in bars it's a shame that there's a definite design flaw, since they all seem to break at the 2nd bushing.
maybe they could have made the section after the bend longer so the pressure was futher from the bushings???
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Dee

I've broken a few of these bars too, in exactly the same place. Last one I broke was when I got my RG 20th, I tried the bar from my RG750 in it first and it snapped as I was trying to push it in. Crap design, IMO. The fact that it uses bushings too, that's a terrible idea. Feels great when you have new bushings but that feeling doesn't last, they go slack too quickly. On top of that, the bushings are stupidly expensive! I won't be buying bags of those for $24 a pop, I use plumbers tape under the bushings and it's all good.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataGuitarist View Post
man, you routed out the trem cavity around the arm holder? not enough room for pulling up the bar without knocking the cavity? wow...

Tags
allen wrench , arm holder , edge trem , edge trems , trem arm , tremolo arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode